01 7.3 won't start

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 7.3 I got as partial payment for a job . I drove it home . It was running great . The truck had sat for about 3 or 4 months . It was full of fuel . I took it home , drained the tank . Put 5 gal of new diesel in the truck . I drove it to the gas station and filled it up with diesel . On the way there it was running pretty rough . I figured maybe some air in the line . I filled it up and now it wont start . I have been messing with it all week .

First I made sure it was getting fuel to the fuel bowl , it fills the bowl fast when the key is turned forward . Then just because it's cheap I threw a cps in it . No change . Then I scanned it , it had a 1273 and a 1276 dtc . I did some testing , pulled the valve covers ohm'ed the gaskets and injectors . Everything was good . Injectors are a little low at 2.8 ohms . I replaced the IDM with a re-man (it came from the guy in Florida who is on ebay) . I now have different codes , the original 2 aren't there just 1293 and 1294 now (high side open banks 1 and 2 ) . I have checked the wiring between the idm and valve cover gasket , all is good , I pulled the injectors and checked o-rings . I noticed some of the o-rings are bad (only one real bad ) . I was told if one injector is bad it will shut down a whole bank . Is that true ? Basically it looks like I have both banks down ?

I don't know what to check next . I even tried starting it on ether (didn't want to) . It just wont fire . I have the truck for sale and have an offer if I can make it run . I really need this truck to sell as I took it and another to help out a friend who needed work done . I am pretty buried in it . Anyone have any idea .

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wait to start light comes on ,and just to be safe I checked all fuses , with a tester . It will rattle a little with ether but not really fire . I don't know what it should do off of ether .

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered all new injector o-ring kits , and 4 glow plugs to replace the bad ones . The glow plug relay is bad as well so I am going to replace it . Do you guys think any of this is relevant to it not starting . Will bad injector o-rings cause a no start condition ? The injectors ohm out at 2.8 , is there anything else that could be wrong with the injectors that would keep them from working ? The truck cranks fast and there is fuel to the bowl , it just seems like it isn't getting fuel in the cylinders . I am going to do a compression check after I reinstall the injectors with new o-rings .

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Do you have the ability/ analyzer to do an injector buzz test.

Is there oil in the HPOP reservoir?

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hpop res. is full . I had a friend who is a diesel mechanic run a buzz test with his snap on scanner , I could here the injectors buzzing , i don't really know what he was looking for but that is when the 1293 and 1294 codes were pulled . Would a buzz test be considered incomplete if codes were pulled ?

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time he ran a buzz test it would not do it . That is when the first two codes were pulled . That lead me to replace the idm . After replacing the idm those codes were no longer present but it pulled up the 1293 and 1294 .

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plug relay is bad as well so I am going to replace it . Do you guys think any of this is relevant to it not starting .
Definitely. If the relay is bad, it will be very difficult to start when it's cold.....and may not even start at all. But I would think that it would fire up with ether.....although that's a dangerous method.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely. If the relay is bad, it will be very difficult to start when it's cold.....and may not even start at all. But I would think that it would fire up with ether.....although that's a dangerous method.

I guess I should say it's in my garage and it's 60 deg. in there . But I know my 99 starts a little harder even in the warm if I don't let the glow plugs cycle

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64