01' stroke how to make some hp

starved 4 fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What would be some good recomendations on the stroke to make some good hp. I am new to ford and dont know what one can get away with as far as stacking downloaders in conjunction with modules or chips. I used to use a edge attitude hot version stacked with a ppe hot accelerator and that puppy would run but it was also the other brand. Looking to try make over 400hp with this 7.3 can it be done reasonable or is this going to cost alot of $? I just installed a built tranny so now I have a 80hp superchips plug in chip. What would the stroke gurus recommend on some more horse?

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 to 00 have the better rods, I think, 01 may be the last year. There is a serial number break that comes into play, so not all engines of the last MY will have them. The rods will make a big difference regarding how much HP you can make at the rear wheels without causing damage.

Most go with a custom tune of some sort, DP-Tuner, TWildman or another variation. This seems to render better results than the one size fits all 'commercial tuners'.

You can probably get in the low to mid 300's w/o breaking the bank, but once you start looking into big oil, injectors, fuel systems, it gets expensive.

I am new to the modding thing, but the more experienced folks will chime in shortly. I have the DP-Tuner and it definately makes a big difference.

fgtex

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at my sig, thats put me to 370, and without more drugs or Injectors thats as far as I can get... You will have the weaker rods for that year...

starved 4 fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
csipsd

Does your truck have good usable hp/tq or is it a 1/4 mile type setup? Just wondering if you could hook that baby up to 4 horses and head over the mountain with that setup?

starved 4 fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
power

That is cool. I will probably ditch my superchips 80 chip and go with your setup. I was going to stack a tuner with the superchip.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the way my rig tows now, especially since I put in the DP-Tuner 80hp econo tune. There isn't a hill in my area where I can't pull my loaded camper and a bed full of firewood all the way to the top in O/D. :burnit

The sad thing is it took me over 250,000 miles to get it set up this way.:(

Several business trips, for my old job, towing through the mountains out west would have been a lot more pleasant had I had the knowledge and setup I have now.

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
Other option

starved 4 fuel said:
That is cool. I will probably ditch my superchips 80 chip and go with your setup. I was going to stack a tuner with the superchip.
Try giving Tony Wildman, Total Diesel Performance, a call (405-818-6365), he is great for getting the tunes that you want. I am very pleased with the performance of my truck with his chip.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Want it cheap as possible? Or don't mind spending a few bucks.

I'll give you both.

GET GAUGES, EGT, TRANS TEMP, BOOST
Get an intake. Go w/ a DIY TYMAR for cheap or AFE PROguard 7 if you want to spend alot for the best flow.
Get Exhaust, 4" turbo back is all you need, or you can straight pipe it for about 75% of the benefit of a 4" system.
Get a Trans or Clutch upgrade, ie:Valvebody/ShiftKit or Luk Clutch.

Now you're ready for a chip, I would Suggest DP Tuner, TS, TonyWildman, DI... etc...

With PMR's you can go to 375 RWHP before blowin up your motor.

If you want to go radical, get forged, better yet billet rods, some other engine strength mods and go with big oil, injectors, fuel system, meth or NOS injected, bigger turbo etc... 10g's at least to put your truck in the 12's....

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Race22 said:
Try giving Tony Wildman, Total Diesel Performance, a call (405-818-6365), he is great for getting the tunes that you want. I am very pleased with the performance of my truck with his chip.

diddo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14