Question 02 7.3 trans/dp tuner/pcm mess up HELP!!

alvin12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:confused:Ok im new to this fourm thing but i have a 2002 f250 4x4. i had a bully dog triple dog in it since last october and sold it mid july. then i bought a dp tuner right after i sold it. the bully dog messed up my trans pretty bad (ran on extreme the whole time i had it) so i took it in to have it rebuilt. i told the man rebuilding it i had a 140hp chip in my truck, and told him to build a trans that could hold up to that and also my 35in tires. when he was done and i picked it up after i was about home and it started hanging 2nd. it was to late to take it back bc it was already almost 5 and thats when the shop closed.......later that evening i saw trans fluid on the ground...the next morning i check my fluid and it was fine, then when i tryed to start my truck it wouldnt start. i had to put it in neutral to start it, i put my dp on stock to make sure it didnt mess the trans up any more.......ok so the mech. cleared something on the pcm and it fixed the starting problem, he dropped trany and said valves or something were hanging up and said the trans fluid came from vent on top of tranny or something like that. then after test driving the truck another code popped up it was like a 1,2 shift or something not sure.......he also said my trans is getting really hot......me and him r both kinda stumped my dp is on stock and it still throws the codes, he said it could be the dp or the pcm......also mentitioned another cooler......if something i said is wrong sorry i dont no a ton about trans.... he told me that there is a bigger tc,i think billet or something like that, shift kit, not sure what else.....please anybody have an idea what could be wrong

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think He screwed up ! A good shop should be able to check flow and volume through the system ,,

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You buy that chip straight from Jody or someone else?

Coolers replaced along with the rebuilt tranny?

Vent on top of a 4R100 tranny? hmmmmmmmm.................

Your in the right place. Hold on a few.

Great people here that know their stuff. They will be along shortly I'm sure.

alvin12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes I bought it straight from him.... And he said he blew through the cooler and it was fine

alvin12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry let me clear that message up... I bought the chip from Jody. The mech. Said he blew through the cooler....I also sent jody a email asking him what he thought an for advise....also do u think my chip needs to be reprogarmed? Maybe? Wut does gauges and instalation run?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what codes are present?

and blowing through the cooler isn't enough, it needs to be properly flushed.

I think at this juncture, I'd be looking for the cooler off a 6.0 truck.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
i couldnt agree more on the upgraded cooler...

you're running a HOT tune AND have extra rolling resistence with those bigger tires...the stock cooler isnt going to cut it, and you're gonna toast your tranny with that kind of heat.

Find a 6.0 Trans Cooler and it should drastically help cool your tranny down.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
35 shouldn't boil fluid on the short trip home ,, that and the hanging shift def seems like he didn't do his proper checks specially like stated at the cooler flow ,, what were your issues before the rebuild?

alvin12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The issues before where the same as far as hanging gears and not shifting....and I'm not sure about what codes r being thrown...but I think he said it was a 1,2 shift code or something like that....I don't think the PCM is bad tho bc everything else is working....so idk if my dp should be reflashed???? Also the valves r hanging up every tine he trys to drive it..... He said when he drops the transmission out of my truck to free it.....after he gets it loose then they play with it and they move fine

alvin12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update on my truck.....just got off the phone with him and he pulled the chip out of my truck....and it stop sending codes to the computer....but it was to late the transmission was already tore up again so he's rebuilding it again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track