'03 250 PSD Rough Running Until Warm?

Zooka

Newbie to Diesel World
Reaction score
I was approached by my buddy who has an '03 250 PSD with approximately 118K miles, who commented that for the last 6 months his truck has been taking longer and longer to warm up. He could tell by my puzzled look that I didn't understand what he was talking about...I have an '04 350 PSD and mine has never had this problem. He tells me that the truck will run really rough (skipping, bucking, almost no power etc.) until it warms up, and then it's fine for the rest of the day; as long as he doesn't leave it off for more than hour.

Says now that the truck is idling at about 1100 rpms, but when he pushes on the accelerator....nothing! He had the truck towed to a Ford dealership and is waiting their answer. I told him I'd put it to the "group" to see if anyone else has had this problem and what it might be.

Any ideas or possible solutions?

Thanks,

Joe

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like the accelerator pedal is bad, but that really doesn't explain the low power. Could explain the bucking and skipping if the ECM isn't getting a consistent signal. But again, that doesn't help with the power question.

atk

Reaction score
does it have any codes?(CEL on)

could be thermostat stuck open, as to why taking longer to warm up....
(on my 5th thermostat since i owned my truck)

ICP sensor and/or pigtail for sensor

TPS (go pedal might be a problem)

also could be some wiring issues(chaffing) in the wiring harness on the motor...

just some ideas....hope it helps

Last edited:

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I had the same symptoms some time ago. If his truck hasn't been "reflashed" w/latest programming, it could be a sticking injector spool valve. The updated program is for the FICM (fuel injection control module). It uses the inj.spool valve solenoids to preheat the oil at injectors. This helps w/cold starts. When the dealer did this for me they also replaced the ICP sensor, which can have similar symptoms when bad. So I don't know exactly what really fixed the problem. Does he know how important it is to change engine oil regularly,especially in our 6.0's?

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I also experience rough idling when the truck first starts with a cold engine, along with lack of power if I don't let the tranny temp come into range. my truck does not idle near 1100 though, it usually drops to 650-750 after a few minutes of running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58