Help Needed '04 6.0 Excursion - Out of the blue had low power, eventually died and won't restart

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one has never happened to me before. Everything was fine and then all of the sudden I noticed when I started going up a hill and stepped on the gas that I was not gaining any power at all. Got to the stop light at the top of the hill, turned into my neighborhood and started to give acceleration again and nothing (like the peddal was not working), engine just stayed at a constant low rpm. Stopped, put in neutral and tried to rev up and there was just nothing there. It eventually just died. Now it is sitting in a right turn lane with flashers on.

Could this be a clogged fuel filter? Would that be the symptoms? I don't have a scanner. I do have a spare fuel filter set I can throw in but would hate to do that if it is not the problem. Thought I would throw this out to the experts first. What do you all think? HPOP? (please no!! :( )

Thanks,
Greg

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yer still in the Right Turn Lane.. try loosening.. twisting ( temp connection clean up ?).. then tightening the Battery cables.

Get back to us ????

Could also be the TPS (throttle position sensor)

Joe

Last edited:

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not get your message before I had it towed to my Ford dealer. I tried changing the rail and top fuel filters and checked the EGR valve. Still ran the same. I did not get to try the battery trick above. I will keep you posted on what the issue is! Thanks for responding Joe!! :sweet

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The verdict is in. It is the HPOP dang it! $2,200 installed. I wish I had time to do these repairs but I don't. Said they can have me driving tomorrow and with my wife going out of town on Friday for the weekend I have to have my truck.

Quick question, while they have the top torn off, is there anything else that me need replacing while they are in there? I have about 180k on this thing now. Last year I had a new BulletProof oil cooler installed and a Sinister Coolant filter. Would have been good to just have them put a new HPOP in at the same time!

Anyway, interested in what you all think. Thanks for reading!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it's the HPOP ($$) but if FORD does it.. maybe yul have them to fall back on ?

Might think about the EGR set-up being inspected/serviced ??

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58