Help Needed 04 F250 4X4 6.0L stumbles under load/up-hill not towing

dune4520

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I drove my truck (2004 F250 4X4 6.0 47K bone stock) up to my uncles cabin over the weekend. On the way I have the cruise set at 75mph most of the way without any trouble. Up hills most of the way the engine and transmission did not even kick down or pick up RPM! Then I started up hill outside of St George, Utah when all of a sudden it began to stumble, it felt like the engine was missing and when I put my foot in it the trans kicked down and the RPMs went up it gave out a bunch of puffs of black smoke and took off like a bat out of he!! So I finished my trip and on the way home it seemed to get progressively worse. Secondly, I noticed while at lower speeds when I would get on the gas and let off it would give out a loud bearing like grumble noise. Lastly on the way home if I kicked down the trans and pushed it hard up hill, it would start to moan kinda like, the sound of the fan clutch kicking in really loud. But as soon as I would reach the top of the hill and let the trans kick back into overdrive it would immediately stop. Any help would be appreciated guys I bought this truck used a week ago and while Ive repaired and owned many Ford trucks but, this is my first diesel, so if ive left out any vital info just post and I will answer....Thanks Dune

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
The "moan" noise was likely the fan clutch.

Sounds like one of 2 things might be your issue;

1. Turbo vanes sticking - take apart the turbo and clean then reassemble.
2. EGR valve needs cleaning, check the wiki for directions.

I'd start with cleaning the EGR valve, and go from there. They are notorious for causing problems on these trucks.

keep us informed, and good luck!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The other items I would address in addition to what Knick suggested is .....

• When was last oil and filter change done?
  • When was fuel filter(s) changed last?
  • When was the HFCM drained last?

dune4520

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Hey guys thanks for the help!

I would like to know if the 5yr/100k factory warranty with the $100 deduct applies to the second owner? And if so do you think that this will cover the issues I am having? Dune

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dune,
The warranty stays with the truck for 5 years /100000 miles reqardless of the owner. I know cause I had the glow plug harness replaced on mine last year and I'm the second owner.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
as mentioned above i think that your main problem is your egr needs to be cleaned or get a new one as knick said our trucks are known for this. my truck did the same thing on the way in from georgia once and all i did was umplug the egr til i got home then cleaned it and havent had a problem since and sittin at about 90k and if you want to know how to clean it i know yo ucan find that on here-ck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58