Question ' 05 6.0 Running Hot

diesel patriot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys, been awile since I posted. Lets see if we can get this thing fixed. I have an '05 F250 CC, FX4, LWB. I have a JEGS 4" turbo back exhaust (stock CAT still installed). I have an AFE cold air intake and a Super Chips tuner (Not currently in use). Only when towing, I start running hot (not puking coolant). I have a SCAN II gauge and I monitor the temps and react before she pukes coolant. The MAX temp I have seen is 238. It normally runs between 190 and 210 till it starts acting up. I have had the head gaskets checked and it looks like they are good (Who Knows). I have been reading all the different posts about EGR and OIL coolers and not sure of an easy way to check this on my own (out of warranty). I was also wonder about the ZooDAD MOD (would this help by adding cold air flow?) Maybe the stock CAT is causing higher EGT? You guys with experience please help. I would like to get her running right.

fordman6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well if you have a way to monitor engine oil temp and engine coolant temp they should read within 10 deg of each other. Ford says 25. If the oil temp reas higher than the ECT your oil cooler is starting to become restricted and boiling the coolant in the cooler and overheating your truck. The egr cooler can do the same but usually after a hot soak you will get white smoke on start up if it is a small leak. If it is a large leak it will run out the tail pipe. When the temp starts to climb, at what temp do you hear the cooling fan start to roar. It should be on 100% around 215-220 deg f. If not you may be looking at a fan clutch. Last if you pull the cap off the degas jug to releve press road test a short dist. 1/4 mile with the engine at operating temp 180-190 deg. at WOT. Pull over and feel the upper rad hose. is it hard as a rock?? Then be very carful and check press build up. If it will build press in the tank very fast under load you are looking at head gaskets. Good luck. The 05 is the worst engine for headgaskets and coolers.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have a 2005 also and I can haul up hill for 15 miles and the cooling fan hardly comes on. My Scan II gauge indicates hardly over 83 C that is 181F. I found that using my Programer the water temperature hardly moves over that also but I keep the power at arond 85/90% and not over to 100%. I always drive my truck with power to spare level. The highest EGT have been around 1100F but mostly 700F. Before I installed my Programer I had to go to 100% everytime I hit a hill. It seamed that the pedal hardly had to be pressed to hit 100% load. Now with the Programer it has an all pedal movement scale. Never did read the temps at that time but the fan did not come on to often. How do you like your scan gauge,, I feel its the best tool for fuel ecomony and Emergency code reading, all in one.

Last edited:

LowSpoolHighFuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I believe that superchips produces a lot of soot which could block up your cat, depending on how much you have gotten on it in the past.