06 cel and hard start when cold

bspan27801

I love those FORD's
Reaction score
Good morning, I have a 06 F350 6.0 auto 4x4 and I have had my first problem in 55K miles. This has been a great truck so far and I love it. I usally plug in my truck all the time when it is lower that 40deg. Sometimes you can't plug it in when your traveling. Anyway had some cold temps here and one night i didnt plug it in and had a very ruff start. Cranks and stalls. once i get it started it runs ruff very ruff like not on all cylinders for about 40 seconds and then it is fine. Other wise runs perfect. If i plug it in it starts right up. The cel i have is p0470 that came on yesturday while tring to start it cold. Exhaust pressure sensor malfunction.

i thought the glow plug unit might not be working, but when i talked to the service guy at ford he said he never has replaced a glow plug unit on any newer 6.0. He said i need an update on the programming and maybe a ficm unit? I am really nervous about the programming, right now I can get 18 to 20mpg on the hyway. (of corse that is driveing very carfully and not over 65)I have heard that the new programming can hurt your fuel mileage and power!!! I have not had any problems out of this truck except I had to replace the batteries this past summer. Other than that I have taken really good care of this truck. Oh yea, I did have an update to the comp in 07 when I had the drive buy wire light come on while traveling in Pa, and all I needed was an update. Maybe I have the new update? I dono?!?!

Oil changes every 5,000 with pure one filter, castrol techtion oil, changed fuel filters eveyother oil change. Trans I changed fluid at 35,000 and then dropped the pan w/filter at 50K, and romote filter 4 times. I just cleaned the EGR valve for the first time two days before the Cel light came on thinking that maybe that was why it wasn't starting cold. New batterys Innerstate megatron plus 1000cca. The other things is I still have the original brake pads and there still perfect in 55K. I bet I will get 100,000 on these pads. there just maybe at half pad now. Man I love my truck, Thanks for reading my rambling, Look forward to your input!!!! :notworthy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What weight oil are you using? I was using 15W40 and had to switch to 5W40 because of that same thing. I don't have any idea of why you got the P 0470 code. Don't be afraid of getting your truck reflashed. Ford will reflash it whether you want it or not. I have had good luck with all of my reflashes. I can get up to 20.9 mpg if I baby it.

Dave

bspan27801

I love those FORD's
Reaction score
I am using 15w40 In Delaware we dont usally see cold like this, we might once in a while but usally in the 30 maybe 20's. I was always afread of using a lower weight oil. the guy at the dealer also told me that the new program to install cycle some part or something that is supposed to clean out something in the fuel system, after you shut it off to make it easier to start. I duno......kind of lost. But i will tell you one thing, I am learning about diesels.....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you have a misunderstanding of oil weights. Lets use 10W30 for example: The 10 is the COLD start performance of the oil. That is it works like a 10 weight oil when cold. The 30 is the operating temperature performance of the oil. So reducing the first number will only help you when you cold start your truck. It will not reduce the total performance of the oil. I use 5W40 all year round here in Northern California.

I have heard about that reflash, but I don't know any more than you stated.

Dave :)

bspan27801

I love those FORD's
Reaction score
Thanks...Duh... I did know that but fortgot it for some reason...I am a dope sometimes... heheh
anyway, maybe I'll change to the 5w series. Thanks :notworthyBrian

bspan27801

I love those FORD's
Reaction score
Update

Hello everyone,

Well took the truck into the dealer and had them check it out. I need a FICM, and a blue hose from the turbo. I had some oil leaking from it. They said it is normal to have a little oil in the tubes. I wasn't alot, just wet. They are also going to update the computer with the new software that pulses the injectors after you shut the truck off. I forget what he siad it does but it is suppost to fix the hard starting in the cold along with the new FICM. Only going to cost me the normal $100.00 deductable. I have 55K on my 06 now. Any input on the new software, let me now. Thanks

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold start

We have much colder winters up here in Canada, 20 - 40 degree F is like summer vacation in the winter here. I would take a close look at the oil you are using. 5W-40 is great for cold weather. Make sure it is CI-4+ rated. You just can't use any multi grade oil in the 6.0. I would also stick with the ford oil filters. Ford had a lot of problems with aftermarket oil filters causing engine problems. They are not all alike. Clean oil is critical in the proper operation of the 6.0. If you haven't been using the proper oil or filter, you could likely have fouled injectors which would easily cause your cold start problems.

bspan27801

I love those FORD's
Reaction score
Today I got my truck back from the dealer. New FICM, upper intercooler hose (the blue rubber out of the turbo) and they updated the ecu, tcu, and something with the towing stradegy. Seems good! I has more power and response when ya masher her down.

I changed the oil today, I still used 15w 40 techtion castrol used a motorcraft filter, added prolong also in the crackcase, and stanadine additive in the tank, she is ready for the road tomorrow 400 miles. Well see how my fuel milage does. I will post when i get back. I was getting 17 to 20+ on the highway, will see if the programming kills it. I drove it about 70m today and it seemed good still, but time will tell. Thanks eveyone!!! I'll keep ya posted, be back sat or sun.

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hello, I am pretty much a new diesel owner, own a 2007 F250 6.0 diesel and i love my truck also.

I looked at The Borg Warner sponsor ad for glow plugs, and they claim a large increase in starting ability, which might help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
DO NOT use Borg Warner glow plugs. Use only Motorcraft or Beru (they are the same thing). All of the others are junk. They will swell in the head or not last as long. I would not listen to the manufacture on this one. They won't change them for you.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64