07 "chrome" grill peeling

4doorbu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have problems with there grill peeling or "bunching up"? its a 2007 Lariet with "chrome package". i just noticed on the top right side right at the hood line it looks like something got under it and caused it to bunch up, like putting a sticker on and having wrinkles in it? i've had the truck for almost 4yrs now and this just happened, very recently? i have extended warranty on it, but doubt they will cover a trim piece. has anybody else had this happen?? i know the Ford logo in the grill getting discolored is very common, but i haven't seen this before.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have problems with there grill peeling or "bunching up"? its a 2007 Lariet with "chrome package". i just noticed on the top right side right at the hood line it looks like something got under it and caused it to bunch up, like putting a sticker on and having wrinkles in it? i've had the truck for almost 4yrs now and this just happened, very recently? i have extended warranty on it, but doubt they will cover a trim piece. has anybody else had this happen?? i know the Ford logo in the grill getting discolored is very common, but i haven't seen this before.

Yes, on my 91. Has something to do with the Electroplating, de-laminating from the surface. It's a Defective piece, not caused by anything you've done, or not done.

I took it to Ford.. they replaced the whole grill piece.. but Good Luck, IMO, It has ALL to do with the Dealer. Some care, Some don't...

Not a fan of extended warranties. Seems they cover everything that never breaks, or goes bad....But give it a Shot ??

:dunno

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My dads 97 F250 is doin that up in the upper right corner where it curves a bunch. Its wrinkled. If it was mine, I'd just update the grille or paint it or somethin. Of course I love upgrading and I hate chrome haha. I painted my stock chrome grille with truck bedliner and looks great and tough.

BIGMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year my blue oval discolor and they replaced it and now the grill is peel and they told me that it was scratch which started it, so I just replaced with a black grill

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
A grill painted to match your truck would be sweet lookin. I almost did that to mine but the paint I had didnt match. I might paint it later. The Harley trucks with the grills painted make it look tough.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted my stock chrome grille with truck bedliner and looks great and tough.

Hmmmmm..

I like that idea... Nothing wrong with mine..what kinda prep work did you do ?

Hmmmmm;)

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..

I like that idea... Nothing wrong with mine..what kinda prep work did you do ?

Hmmmmm;)

Im very happy with the way it turned out. I did miss a spot thats obvious on the upper rh corner. Cant belive I did that! :doh: Just clean it up real good with degreaser or somethin else along those lines. Go buy some of Bulldogs adhesive promotor thats in a spray can. I bought mine from O'reilleys. Spray some coats of that on there then just use whatever spray bedliner you want. I used duplicolors stuff. I sprayd like 3 or 4 coats on it. Its got a texture to it a lil bit. Whats nice is if you gouge or your bedliner chips off you can just spray more liner on it to fix it. Easy stuff to work with. So far mine is holdin up good on my truck. The bottom quarter of my truck is sprayed in the stuff and my grille. I've noticed a few small chips on the truck but Im just gonna spray more on when summer is here. I might paint my grille the same as my truck maybe in the summer too. Then buy a billet grille insert to top it off. Yer truck would look great with a black grille since yours is black. Or just paint it white over the bedliner. Either way it will look good. My avatar pic shows my truck with my painted grille. I need to get more pics of my truck in my album on here so you can see bigger pics if you want.

Bigfordguy03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My '07 has the chrome package on it and the grill is doing the same thing. Ive also noticed that a friend of mines truck is doing the same thing. I need to find a new "Ford" emblem to go on the front of the grill too cause its faded and cracked up. Its a little annoying that you pay so much for a truck and the manufactor emblem fades on it. :doh:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw an 05-07 with a grill just as you described. It was all bunched up but it wasn't peeling.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I saw an 05-07 with a grill just as you described. It was all bunched up but it wasn't peeling.

I've never seen the chrome on any of our ford grilles peel. Just in the corners it bunches up or wrinkles. Its a pretty tough coating to crack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr