07 ford powerstroke code p0046

Saustin4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have code p0046 flashing on my scan tool. I have already change the solenoid and also the pcm, I also had a local shop check all the wiring and the wiring comes back fine. The local shop says I need a new pcm, I already have 2 and the same code is coming up on both so I can t see it being the pcm. I decided today in frustration today to over lay new wiring from the pcm to the solenoid. That plan did not work and I am getting the same code on both, the weird thing is that when I test the old pcm I'm getting 10 volt s 1 way and when I turn the tester cable s around I'm getting -8 volts. The new pcm just shows 0 both ways, neither pcm will activate the solenoid and I have zero boost. The only way I can get boost is to jumper the solenoid directly off the battery, witch I'm guessing isn't a good thing to do. I'm at a complete loss and feel like burning the truck to the ground, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the solenoid is good? I agree it's highly suspicious that you'd have multiple PCMs that are bad.

I'd check the wiring harness and the solenoid itself.

Code P0046 is set when a short to ground, open, or short to power is identified in the VGTCV or wiring between the PCM and VGTCV. This circuit is a continuously monitored circuit that takes less than 1 second to set.

randybarkwill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It’s also a ground controlled circuit. PCM uses pwm to change unison ring position. Check the ground side of the circuit with test light at the vgt. I’ve seen many pcms not control the turbo. Remember 03-04 have a different pcm than 05-07 trucks if that’s the repair and a used pcm Is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64