Question 08, 6.4 does not heat up at idle

BILL POPE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone haveing trouble geting heat out of there heater at idle. I live in Alaska and since new this truck will not make heat at idle even with a winter front on it. You can drive it down the road and it's fine. But at freezeing, 32 degrees shortly after you put it in park it goes to high idel and you can watch the temerature gage fall. This truck has snow plow prep and camper option. Ford lists to seperate fan clutchs for the 6.4 does anybody no the difference? is one a reverse flow, anybody else having the same problem? Thanks Bill

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
:welcome1 to the site

Ford does not recommend idling the 6.4 as it will plug up your particulate filter in a short time. Since they can't be idled for any length of time without plugging up they are not really concerned about them holding temperature. Winter before last they sent a few 6.4l equipped trucks up to Prudhoe Bay for testing and they came back plugged solid. There are now very few company's on the North Slope that even run the 6.4l or any other diesel that uses a particulate filter as they plug up when idled. The dealer up here in Fairbanks explains to customers that the 6.4 can't be idled before they sell them one. Doesn't sound like the dealer down your way is as informative.

BILL POPE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info crumm, i'm and old fairbanks boy, born and raised. Can,t belive ford would do such a stupid thing, if thats true there's going to be a lot of pissed off people in the northern states. Thanks again bill

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most diesels won't get above warm just idling. My 8V92 would not get hot here in California idling. They just don't get enough calories from the fuel at idle.

Dave

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info crumm, i'm and old fairbanks boy, born and raised. Can,t belive ford would do such a stupid thing, if thats true there's going to be a lot of pissed off people in the northern states. Thanks again bill

Its not fords fault. You can thank the stupid EPA...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
there's going to be a lot of pissed off people in the northern states.

Sales are suffering bad around here. Over the last year many of the companies on the North Slope bought up all the new old stock and late model used trucks they could find. There were 06' trucks from all over the country being hauled to the slope this summer. Only outfits that have any 6.4l trucks are the ones that keep them inside or plugged in all day. Some outfits have even went to gas trucks. If I was in the market for a new truck I would have to take into account where I live and unfortunately I would have to choose either a new gas or pre 08' Diesel.

Can,t believe ford would do such a stupid thing.
It ain't just Ford. It is the EPA forcing all the Diesel engine producers to meet unreasonable environmental regulations. Cat truck engines are a thing of the past, after 2010 they are throwing in the towel as the regulations are even getting worse. If the rest of the engine manufactures would follow along and throw in the towel the EPA might wake up. All of the new truck engines out there that meet the new regulations are about 30% less efficient as far as fuel economy than there previous models so just how is this good for the environment?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cat truck engines are a thing of the past, after 2010 they are throwing in the towel as the regulations are even getting worse. If the rest of the engine manufactures would follow along and throw in the towel the EPA might wake up. All of the new truck engines out there that meet the new regulations are about 30% less efficient as far as fuel economy than there previous models so just how is this good for the environment?

I hear what you are saying, Crumm. But I think that the EPA will have to do something for better fuel economy in todays market. Or nobody will be selling new trucks, not just Cat.

Dave:dunno:dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wander if you could put a pony pack on the truck, like whats on big rigs.. It would have to be small but it would work for keeping the truck warmed up. I had one on my big rig for keeping the block warm and the batts. charged up. Now, I am talking something smaller then this, but this is the Idea. It runs off the fuel tank and coolent from the engine.

PP_3views.jpg

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats it once my warrantys up at 36k im saying see yea to that dpf , im always at idle when i pick up deliver cold roll steel for work **** my filter goes into regen twice a week for 10 mins at time i wonder how long its gonna last especially with a programmer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58