08 6.4 head bolts and gaskets

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody know if any thing different was done from the 6.0 2006 and 2007 engines, as far as head bolts and gaskets? more bolts per cylinder?
wondering what if anything ford did different on the new ones?

linx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
anybody know if any thing different was done from the 6.0 2006 and 2007 engines, as far as head bolts and gaskets? more bolts per cylinder?

What's that got to do with 08 6.4s?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant to say what did ford do different to the new 6.4? did anything get changed? i love mine, not knocking them. just wondering if actual headboltsor anything weredifferent?

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think they used bigger bolts this time around. I believe they used a crappy material on the 6.0 for head bolts.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they used bigger bolts this time around. I believe they used a crappy material on the 6.0 for head bolts.

dont know what changes there were...but i think SOME of the
issue w/ the 6.0 was that you had a LOT of customers who came
from the 7.3 platform (and were used to running lots of tuners).

I dont know the 'zact numbers but im pretty sure the 6.0 was pushing
the better part of a 100hp more over the 7.3

at some point youre gonna find a weak point of ANYTHING...7.3 guys
had trans issues.

I dont personally feel the 6.0 needs any more hp...torque maybe but
the thing runs and runs RELIABLY WELL...would i like more HP...absolutely,
im a gear head at heart...but im not willing to sacrifice reliability or
drivablity for another 50 or 100hp.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I read recently on a forum that the 07 Diesels got the 6.4 head, headbolts, gaskets and related hardware. Apparently International in getting ready for the 6.4,changed the tooling for the heads prior to the 6.0 shutdowns.

What I read wasn't someones comment but what appeared to be a TSB or a Ford release of some kind.If I could find it again I'll post it here.

That would alleviate fears of possible head problems if you have a later production 07 Diesel.

Last edited:

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

To answer your question nothing was done. The 6.4 has the same head as the 6.0 as well as bolts. Whenever I replace a head on a 6.0 now I get a 6.4 head which is nothing but a different rocker box bolt setup which means nothing. Matter of fact today I needed a head bolt because I was replacing a broken #8 exhaust rocker on a 06 and I went to parts because I couldnt find my extra box of head bolts and asked for a lcf head bolt(the reason why is they sell service those individually but not the 6.0-same bolt) but we didnt have any, but we had a open box of 6.4 bolts.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I read recently on a forum that the 07 Diesels got the 6.4 head, headbolts, gaskets and related hardware. Apparently International in getting ready for the 6.4,changed the tooling for the heads prior to the 6.0 shutdowns.

What I read wasn't someones comment but what appeared to be a TSB or a Ford release of some kind.If I could find it again I'll post it here.

That would alleviate fears of possible head problems if you have a later production 07 Diesel.

To add to that,youd be suprised what the 6.0 and 6.4 share in common base engine wise-more than the heads.

[email protected]

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check out the February 2008 Edition of "Diesel Power" magazine, an article "Secrets of the 6.4 L Power Stroke". It makes some refernces to the Engine Block and Heads as far as bolts. The revises cast iron cylinder heads still us four valves and four head bolts per cylinder, but the bolts are now thicker (16mm) and shorter because they're no longer tasked with keeping the rocker arm box attached to the top of the engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58