08+ Console Swap How-To (With Pics)

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen a how to on this yet so I thought I'd go ahead and make one. Pretty easy, but its always nice to see how its done first. I will also include a parts list and tools so you can have it all together when youre ready to start. :coffee

Tools:
Ratchet 3/8" and 1/2" (Depending on your sockets)
3/8" Extension
7/16" Socket
7/16" Open-End wrench
1/2" Deep Socket
T55 Torx Socket
Screwdriver with removable bits
T20 Screwdriver bit
Drill
1/4" Drill Bit
Chilled beverage of your choice

Parts:
1 x Front Bracket (P/N: 8C3Z-25045B34-AA)
1 x Rear Bracket (P/N: 8C3Z-25045B45-BA)
1 x 08+ Center Console (Assembled from several parts, with different P/Ns)
4 x 1/4" x 1 1/2" Hex Cap Bolts
4 x 1/4" Washers
4 x 1/4" Nuts

Preperation:
Gather your tools and parts. Pictured here I have 1/4" x 1" bolts. These will work for the front 2 bolts, but I discovered later that the rear bolts must be longer, so I went and got longer ones. I suggest using the longer 1 1/2" bolts for all 4.

ec8730e6.jpg

You will notice the brackets have a small spacer in the hole for the bolt. You will need to drill that out. The factory bolts are metric, however we (I) am using 1/4" bolts that I picked up from a hardware store. It's very close, just slightly too big for this hole. Go ahead and drill the hole to 1/4"

604273e7.jpg

e9780cf4-1.jpg

You will have to do this four times, twice on each bracket.

Assembly:

Now we need to get to the front bolt holes in the console.

Take your screwdriver with T20 Torx bit and unscrew the 2 screws here, one on each side. They are on the front top of the console box, under where the lid will rest when closed. All of the screws on the console are a T20 screw. My tray on the front of the console came detached. Now is a good time to take the T20 and go ahead and attach any other parts of your console.

9d3eec88.jpg

Next you will need to pop off the cup holder piece. There are 2 clips per side, which are angled up. Just pull up and out and they will pop off.

565490d8.jpg

30266a7b.jpg

Your cup holders probably fell out. Thats alright, I'll get to that in a little bit.
Here you will see 2 holes. Slide in a washer and a bolt.

2c572417.jpg

Go ahead and put the nuts on and tighten them up using an extension on a ratchet and and open end wrench. In the picture you will notice I have used my shorter bolts. They dont thread all the way through my nuts, this is why I recommend the longer bolts all the way around.

2b5bc3de.jpg

If the cup holders fell out replace it. All you need to do it put it in the trim piece where they go from the top and push down. They need some convincing to go back in, but be careful.

Flip the console around and open it up. Under the mat you will see the other 2 holes. Again, put in 2 washers and 2 bolts. Slide on the bracket and tighten them up.

Seat Removal:

Each seat has 3 bolts and 1 nut on a stud. The center console or seat you're removing will have a combination of nuts and bolts also.

If you have power seats leave them plugged in for now. Remove the 3 bolts on the driver's and passenger's seats with the T55 socket. Next take off the 1/2" nut using a deep socket. You will need to slide the seats forward and backwards to get the the front and rear bolts.

Go ahead and pull the seats up and out. They are about 50 lbs, so most people should be able to do it alone. If you need help lifting, get some, don't break your back.

IF YOU HAVE POWER SEATS DONT FOR GET TO UNPLUG THEM BEFORE REMOVING!

Running Wires:

Remove the old console or seat. If you want to run any wires to the console now is the time. Most consoles will have 1 or 2 12v power plugs in them, one in the console and one on the rear. You will find a plug for this on the bottom passenger side of the console. Unless your truck is an 08+ you will not have the other end of this plug, so cut the wires and run them yourself if you want the plugs to work.
I also ran a USB extension from my radio to inside the console for my iPhone. I drilled a hole using a 2" hole saw on the round mark on the floor of the console. My wires go under the carpet at the top of the tranny hump near that black plastic piece under the dash. They resurface in the hole in the carpet for the drivers side bracket mount.

1eb109c9.jpg

I will eventually take a box cutter and cut an X in the mat to allow the cable to cup up easier.

fe603965.jpg

EDIT:
7328adc6.jpg

Console Installation:

Slide in the new console. You will notice that the new console brackets do not use the same mounts as before. This is normal. They will instead share the rear bolt and and rear stud with the drivers and passenger seats respectively. The console will also share the same hole and bolts as the seats on either side in the front as well, however this is unchanged from the old console.

086c5dd6.jpg

The new console should go in before the seats. Install the console and then replace the seats. Plug them in and then replace the bolts in the floor.

Enjoy:
This step is self explanatory!

14f42f17.jpg

Feel free to PM me with ANY questions, should you have any. I'd be glad to help!

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused Why you didn't use the factory style bolts that thread into the Brackets ?

I pull my console out all the time to run wires or acces my xm moduels I wouldn't want to pull the seats everytime to do that

I also think the 08 felt a little low and forward for my arms to rest on so I made a lift and ofeet billet block for the mounts

consol1.jpg

Last edited:

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused Why you didn't use the factory style bolts that thread into the Brackets ?

I pull my console out all the time to run wires or acces my xm moduels I wouldn't want to pull the seats everytime to do that

I also think the 08 felt a little low and forward for my arms to rest on so I made a lift and ofeet billet block for the mounts

attachment.php

Are you talking about the bolts to go from the brackets to the console? I chose not to because I ordered the brackets from Ford and Ford has a habit of charging $15 for bolts. $.50 was much more my flavor.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the OEM brackets are threaded for metric so I went to ace and got mine.
and they thread in from the top so no nuts are neaded and the console can be removed in a minute that all I was asking about your looks like it can't come out quickly?

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes me about 5 mins to take it out. I pull the whole thing with the brackets

7.62x51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1 x 08+ Center Console (Assembled from several parts, with different P/Ns)

Do you have the part numbers for the console itself? I'm looking for a grey one & a tan one, so the P/Ns would be different, but a starting point would be quite handy when I'm standing at the Ford parts counter.

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the part numbers for the console itself? I'm looking for a grey one & a tan one, so the P/Ns would be different, but a starting point would be quite handy when I'm standing at the Ford parts counter.

No I dont. Its about 10 different part numbers and if you go through the dealership it will be about $900. Just check local ads for a few months. They pop up. Or on sites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64