Question '09 250 SD regen @ under 100 miles?

Genero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the Diesel world.

I just picked up the truck last week. The first time I started it at home, I warmed up the truck for about five minute because I don't know better. Once I put the truck in drive and gave it gas, it seemed to rev up high and moved real slow. I got scared and pulled over thinking I had not warm up the truck enough. After a while the truck idled down and ran better. The truck ran fine the rest of the day. Yesterday morning I started the truck and let it idle for well over five minutes. As I took off to take the truck for an alarm install, it happened again. This time I kept moving, rolling thru the neiborhood very slow until it seemed to clear up. Even then, the engine seemed a little louder than normal for a while.

WTH it is a new truck. I tuck it in to the dealer but they have not got to it.....This realy suck!!!!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't let your truck idle for any long periods (over a minute) of time. This clogs the DPF and the truck automatically tries to clean it by going into Regen mode. I think that is what you heard.

Dave

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
You could try reading the owners manual and watching the DVD that came with the truck. :innocent

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. I think everyone here will tell you that diesels don't like workin' too hard when they're not warmed up. X2 on what Dave said- don't let it idle too much, just crank it up and drive it. Mine is really sluggish and loud when I first start it (sounds like a jet engine). Just take it easy and don't get in a hurry 'til you've driven a few miles and the engine has had time to warm up a little. The engine will quiet down and the power will appear after it's hot.

Also, don't freak out too much with the regen mode. It kinda scares everyone at first. Sometimes it will go into regen more often depending on your driving habits (heavy foot = more regen). Just sit back, relax, enjoy the new ride, and don't pay too much attention to the regen or mpg's (you can't do a whole lot to improve either!) :sweet

Genero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did watch the DVD but have not read the whole book yet.

Thanks for input. I hopt this truck last like my '99 F-150 5.4 XLT 4X4. 275,559 miles with the original engine.:tex

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58