1992 7.3L with an altitude issue! HELP PLEASE!

i_timmers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 1992 F-Series 7.3L automatic flatbed in my fleet of work trucks that's having issues. Being from the Phoenix, Arizona area I'm needing some input from the folks in the high country. I serviced this truck(new glow plugs, cooling system service/water pump/fan clutch/radiator/serp belt, oil and filter changes and some cab electrical issues were solved) in AZ... Then, it was shipped to Colorado to work @ 11,500ft. My problem is that the truck ran great when it left AZ(under 2000ft. After the truck arrived in Co, I received a call that the truck was belching black smoke and has no power what-so-ever. This is apparently an oxygen starved engine. I am trying to find anyone that can explain how to adjust this fuel injection pump for the high altitudes. Or, If you can recommend a shop in the Colorado Springs area that can tackle this job... I have mechanics that can R&R the pump in Colorado for the pump to be modified.

Thanks in advance,;tu

Tim

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Contact an Injector builder in Colorado Springs and talk to him. You don't have a lack of oxygen, you have an over fueling problem. Over fueling causes the black smoke. It is not a pump problem, I don't think. I had a '94 that would blow black smoke up in Tahoe, but it ran good, for up there (7,000 feet).

Dave

i_timmers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Contact an Injector builder in Colorado Springs and talk to him. You don't have a lack of oxygen, you have an over fueling problem. Over fueling causes the black smoke. It is not a pump problem, I don't think. I had a '94 that would blow black smoke up in Tahoe, but it ran good, for up there (7,000 feet).

Dave

Sorry for mis-speaking... over fueling it is. This truck did run very well at 8,000 ft on the jast job it was on. 11,500ft is actually hard to breath if your not used to it. I guess I should expect the truck to do the same.

In the research I have been able to pull so far, Ford had a couple different pumps available back then, there was a standard pump, a high altitude pump(up till 10K ft) and an arctic pump for anything above the 10K ft. I have been searching Colorado Springs for the last 2 days and have not found someone yet. I will be driving there tomorrow AM... arriving there Tuesday am. Supposidly these pumps can be adjusted... but you need the proper equipment to do it. Just thought there might be someone on here that had a suggestion or a place to recommend.

atk

Reaction score
even though they are not a site sponsor, try Elite Diesel Engineering. they are located in
Pueblo West, CO....1-866-631-8518....hope this helps

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, A different pump IS the Fix.

At 11,000+ feet you simply don't have enough air. The fuel injector pump is performing as it should.. you simply don't have enough air to mix with it. Fuel/Air ratio issues.

>Sometimes< the (your) pump can be adjusted to compensate.. but at 11,000+ feet ? I'm not sure it could be done.

Joe

My 91 IDI did the same thing. I had to go over Loveland Pass once, cuz the I-70 tunnel was closed (Wreck) .. 15 mph in 2nd, was the best the ol' boy could do. Turbo'd it shortly after that.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A turbo would really help this situation. It would stuff more air into the intake and "lean out" the mixture.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64