1996 7.3 Powerstroke cold start issue

wizzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all first post

Sure you have seen many of these posts. I have been reading all over and looking for some advice on troubleshooting.
I did just purchase the autoenguity with the ford enhanced package so i have that available.

Issue: No start or very difficult start cold.

GPR: Replaced and i have tested I have .2 volts drop accross the lugs.
CPS: Replaced with motorcraft (no change) Just did this to have a spare.
IPR: Removed and cleaned new O rings.
Fuel Filter: Replaced

Checked hpop reservoir about 1/2 inch from top.
Checked fuel bowl it did refill and fuel does squirt out the schraeder valve

glow plugs are staying on for about 2 mins. (I installed a led on the dash hooked up to the glow plug side of the dash so i know when the glow plugs are on)

disconnected the harness ( at the 4 connectors) measured the resistance of each glow plug they are all reading about 1 ohm.

rpm gauge reads about 150

Get some white some from the exhaust.

Still No start unless warm or plugged in.

test done while cold
Autoenguity results: (bear with me only had for 1 day)

Injector control pressure rises to a high of about 2832 psi
rpm 155
icp duty cycle hits 35% maybe a little higher

What should I test next?

Still seems like glow plug issue. Thinking of visual inspection. I mean it sounds like it almost wants to catch.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Do you see any Trouble Codes when you scan the truck? They should look like P0123. These codes will tell you what the PCM (Program Control Module) thinks is wrong with your truck. There maybe no codes, as well.

Dave

Last edited:

wizzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you see any Trouble Codes when you scan the truck? They should look like P0123. These codes will tell you what the PCM (Program Control Module) thinks is wrong with your truck. There maybe no codes, as well.

Dave

No codes

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Sounds basic and it sounds like it cranks fine but how are the batteries? Weak batteries won't supply enough voltage to properly heat the glow plugs.

wizzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sounds basic and it sounds like it cranks fine but how are the batteries? Weak batteries won't supply enough voltage to properly heat the glow plugs.

Okay for Good measure double checked the batteries and pulled another 1200 cranking battery from my dads truck swapped 1 of them in the diesel.

Still same symptoms basically

Now that it is warm outside the dam thing started.

checked at the valve cover voltage coming to the glow plugs all 8 red the same as the output of the GPR and tested the connector going into the valve cover with the meter and each glow plug is reading about 1 ohm to ground.

I seem to be only seeing about 50 amp draw on the glow plugs. I am going to double check that figure but how much should the glow plugs pull when engerized.

wizzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay for Good measure double checked the batteries and pulled another 1200 cranking battery from my dads truck swapped 1 of them in the diesel.

Still same symptoms basically

Now that it is warm outside the dam thing started.

checked at the valve cover voltage coming to the glow plugs all 8 red the same as the output of the GPR and tested the connector going into the valve cover with the meter and each glow plug is reading about 1 ohm to ground.

I seem to be only seeing about 50 amp draw on the glow plugs. I am going to double check that figure but how much should the glow plugs pull when engerized.

Note rechecked current draw and it seems to actuall be about 15 to 20 amps per glow plug measured on each wire

wizzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay still working this issue.

To get myself past the glow plug issue I removed the glow plugs and bench tested them by hooking them to a battery charger. 7 out of 8 heated up very successfully. I replaced the one that did not.

Reading a lot about the EOT sensor going bad and causing cold start issues. Any thoughts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58