2000-250SD body parts compatibility

Duke Javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am trying to get my 2000 7.3 250 SD back on it's job of pulling my 5th wheel next spring. I had my older son drive it (less the camper) last weekend and there was some black ice and....the left side got cozy with a telephone pole. No one was hurt but the white beast itself.

On initial inspections it needs a new front bumper, front left headlight assembly, complete left driver door (with glass and towing mirror), suicide rear left door for sure. There is slight damage to the hood and the left front fender, could use body work to be perfect, left as is or replaced. It dented in the cab corner easily as you could see the rust was about to pop through anyways.

This is a 7.3 Powerstroke with a brand new Moroso oil pan (only repair I needed so far, no surprise to anyone here I suspect), Spectra air cleaner, tuner, and big exhaust (I had these installed fairly quickly upon purchase...it was stock before). 220k miles on the truck. This is my first Ford truck and first diesel,...it might smell and sound like a semi but it has been a great truck for us and has actually endured itself to me as a vehicle....to the point that I am now convinced when I buy a new truck it will be a FORD for sure. I can't believe a well maintained 2000 can be in this nice of shape and feel as good pulling 11k lbs. (This is the first truck for a new 5th wheel; before this it was 4000 lbs. with either a Ram or Suburban).

Obviously this is an older truck but without this accident it was a very good truck esp. for what I paid ($8000) 2 yrs. ago. My initial thought was sell or scrap it and either buy a new diesel Ford (the cash is there but I'm trying to semi retire) or even just get another similar truck. But then it hit me....if I just buy another white SD truck (lots of those out there...cheaper gas one would be fine for this) and strip what I need I could put this back on the road for a lot less than the alternatives. Then I can determine if I take to a body shop for the trimmings (two tone silver bottom, cab corner rust on left side). I figure if I put $3k in it it's better than starting over with an unknown used one or dropping $50-60k into a new one.

Does anyone have any warnings about, for example, buying a 2002 white extended 5.4L 250 SD for this purpose? Differences in 2000 non SD or non 250? Obviously this is all about proper fit of body components, nothing else is needed. Also if I buy something that's a step up from bone stock should I expect a bit more for what's left? (EG- working 4x4, diesel engine, etc. ).

Duke Javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh, it took a while to write that. I forgot to thank anyone who took the time to read it or conment....thanks!!!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm next door in Indiana, not too far from Indy.

I think any F-250, F-350, Excursion parts from 99-04 should work. 05-07 would also work, but 05 was the year the grille and headlights changed. I have an 03 Excursion, and been around many pickups, and the only difference is the fact my truck has a "permanent topper" was the only difference I can see. There are some subtle differences in some of the suspension and drivetrain parts, but if I were walking through a junkyard, I wouldn't hesitate to walk up to a 99-04 pickup for parts for my Excursion.

A dead/cheap gasser would be good for this purpose..... There may be some minor differences between gasser and diesel, but, lights, fenders, doors, hood, bed, should all be the same. Even interior parts, except the instrument cluster will be different. Since you know your truck, and if it is just cosmetic damage, which it sounds like it is, I would find a good body, thrashed drivetrain/blown engine truck and swap all the best parts to your truck, and either dump the parts truck cheap, or call Pull-A-Part and make it disappear......

Now, a 97 or 98 Light Duty F-250, and 97+ F-150's use almost no common components...... once they changed body's between the two.

Duke Javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks sniklas....so basically for the parts I definitely need ....99-04 is my target. Getting one in white, same type mirror (250SD power mirror but manual folding) etc. would be bonus points I suppose. I've got a line on a nice driveable white one that looks exactly like mine save for a 5.4 vs. the 7.3. Even though it's about $2k I'll have a driveable 4x4 to sell which I imagine will be worth enough to make the difference and definitely save me time and energy.

Thanks again !

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I agree. Non-diesel specific parts should all be interchangeable like body and interior parts. '99-'04 should be no-brainers and '05-'07 I would do some checking first depending on what it is.

Duke Javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trout!
As an update I acquired a SD250 in white with the 5.4 and electronic 4x4 (still has locking hubs). The half door is quite a bit more rusty than mine on the bottom but other than that the body panels are in as good as shape as mine. As a bonus the tires have more life and are more aggressive than mine. Perfect winter set.

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the local auto auctions! White "fleet" trucks are everywhere and cheap! Power companies, telephone companies, construction companies, ect renew their fleet trucks and send the old ones to auction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr