2000 Excursion Rear Brakes Sticking....?

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all, my father in law has a 2000 3/4 ton excursion and the read breaks keep sticking and making the wheel assembly hot, by even just driving around the block.

we have replaced the master cylinder already. we did take apart the rear lines and they did blow through....however, the rear calipers are sticking, and holding the breaks in.

i would think it is odd that both the rear rubber lines, or both the calipers would go bad at the same time??

is it possible for the ABS box to be bad?

what else could be the possible problem.....?

dpantazis

Reaction score
warped rotor?

the slide pins are probably rust restricting movement? clean them up good and the slot they ride in.

the caliper holder has pack rust that pushes the keeper up not letting the calipers move when the piston pressure lets go?

wire brushing for me only polished the rust. i used a cold chisel to knock the rust off. props to royboy who clued me into that one.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
  • Parking brake component. REPAIR or INSTALL new components as necessary
  • Brake caliper guide pins. REPAIR or INSTALL new caliper guide pins, seals and boots.
  • Disc brake caliper. REPAIR or INSTALL new brake calipers as necessary
  • Brake booster
  • Brake master cylinder

Based on my experience I may sway to the caliper guide pins hanging up,below is the directions to service the pins.

CAUTION: Do not use power tools for caliper guide pin bore cleaning.

The guide pins should slide with a reasonable amount of hand force. If the brake pads show taper wear or the guide pins are difficult to move, then carry out the following steps.

NOTE: If a guide pin kit is not available, install a new caliper assembly.

Disassemble the guide pins.
Use a wire brush, rolled-up sandpaper or emery cloth to remove all corrosion and foreign material from the caliper guide pin bores. Clean remaining debris from the bores with brake parts cleaner and compressed air.
Install new brake pads if the lining is not within specifications.
Assemble the caliper guide pins using new caliper seals, boots and guide pins. Use an ample amount of grease to lubricate the bores and guide pins.

Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound
XG-3 (ESE-M1C171-A Specification)

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, we he dug into it and found that the calipers we sticking. the pins were free, but the calpiers were the problem. 2 pistons on the drivers side, and 1 piston on the passengers side.....took em off, cleaned them up, blew them out.....they work fine now.

thanks guys!!

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58