2000 X Front End Problems

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My VFD has a 2000 X with major front end problems. She has the V-10 (I know I know) :eek: :eek: and has been ridden hard & put away wet.

Think she's had the entire front end rebuilt 2 times & she still wanders & has a shake/shimmy in the steering wheel.

Since the last rebuild she's not been driven all that hard but still has a vibration in the steering wheel & tends to wander when on the highway or at high speeds (yes she' is driven as fast as the V-10 can go)

Last week I drove her on the interstate for several hours at 75-85 & there was a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel & she did not want to track straight, but tended to wander somewhat.

Any ideas on what's wrong?????

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Could be a variety of things such as improper tire pressure,tire balance,front end alignment,low quality make/model tires,front U joint,shocks,etc.

What speeds does the shake/shimmy start at and when does it clear up?

I'm in no way an expert with front suspension but those are a few things I can put on the plate to check out.

As an example I had new Pirelli Scorpion A/T's installed last year and had a shake/shimmy starting at 40-45 MPH and come to find out the tire pressure was at 50-55psi,I bumped it to 70 psi and voila! shake/shimmy gone :)

Bill

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, if the front end has been "rebuilt" and is within spec, then look at a balance issue with the tires, or air pressure.

Also, if you dont have a steering stabilizer, get one.

How are the shocks? Factory shocks are horrible.

Balljoints are a known flaw on the diesels, and the v-10 isnt THAT much lighter. If they "rebuilt" the front end, they should have replaced the balljoints with greaseable style. The factory ones are NON greasable, and dry out, causing wandering.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If all else fails repairing/replacing the front end components I'd suggest a set of radius rods :sweet

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but have you rotated the tires since this problem started? I had a busted belt on a tire that I had on a previous truck and it would vibrate and shimmey like crazy. (it's the cheapest solution if that's your problem. :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info & am going to present the info ya posted to him & hopefully fix the problem :thanks :thanks :thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg