Help Needed 2001 7.3 down!!

marlinman232

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2001 f350 with the powerstroke 7.3. My wife drove my truck and when she got about 1 mile from home it started stumbling. So when she gets home I take it for a spin to check it out and sure enough it's running like poo. I figured I would start small so I replaced the fuel filter and made it just down the road and it stumbling BAD so I pull over and it shuts off and will not restart. I opened the filter bowl and it was empty so I filled it and no dice it just emptied the bowl but no start. It sounds like it is "locked",it has a hard fuel knock when It turns over. It seems to be pulling fuel from the bowl when I fill the bowl. Just doesn't seem to be getting fuel from the tank to the bowl?? Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a fuel pump on the frame rail or in the tank, I dont remember. But I would look there for a starting point. One of the guys with the 7.3 will chime in here shortly and tell you.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
1. check your oil. see if its oil contaminated. bad oring on the injector could leak fuel into the oil sistem, that is where it migth be disappearing to. else, could be bad injector filling up the cylinder and hydrolocking it.

2. fuel pump is under driver side frame rail. it runs 100% of the time with the key on.

3. any fuel leaks? fuel return and supply lines are steel.

4. quick disconnect fittings on the pump suck air.

marlinman232

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I checked out my fuel pump today and when I turned the key to the on position the pump didn't come on at all. So I pulled the pump and hot wired it to a battery and no dice. I picked up a new pump put in and hit the key and beast rumbled back to life!!! Thank you all for the advice!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14