2004 6.0L PS bad idea?

RowdyNoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi! New to the forum game and diesel trucks. Just picked up a 2004 ford F-250 6.0L powerstroke with 155000 miles. Buddy at work mentioned they are "notorious" for blown engines or something along those lines and that i need to spend 5000 dollars right now to "bulletproof" my engine. So get home from work do some research. Read a couple articles on diesel repair shop websites that said the problems occur when people upgrade the engine to boost hp and torque. My question, what do i need to do to make my powerstroke last? Any tips? Thank you for taking the time to help me out. And if there is already a thread like this if you could point me to it that would be awesome! Thankd again!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have the same engine in my F-350 and I have 134,000 miles in it. It is stock and I have done all of the maintenance. I have had a few minor problems like a fuel injector needing to be replaced and the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) dyeing. The major problems with these engines are needing Head Studs (a LOT of work) if you blow a head gasket. Keep it stock and you should be good. Tuners cause most of the problems. Good Luck! :thumbs

RowdyNoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the same engine in my F-350 and I have 134,000 miles in it. It is stock and I have done all of the maintenance. I have had a few minor problems like a fuel injector needing to be replaced and the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) dyeing. The major problems with these engines are needing Head Studs (a LOT of work) if you blow a head gasket. Keep it stock and you should be good. Tuners cause most of the problems. Good Luck! :thumbs
Makes me feel a lot better Dave! Thanks! And I plan on keeping it 100% stock. Thinking about getting that hot shot stiction oil additive and using there blue diamond oil. Have you heard anything about that? From the threads ive read seems to be good stuff. Thanks Dave!

Thanatos41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave, most of the problems were self induced by people trying get more power out of them. The stock head studs just don't have enough extra meat on them to handle the added stress of a tuner. I have an '04 F250 with 197,000 miles on it. Replaced two injectors at about 90,000 and have used Lucas Diesel supplement since then with no other problems. As long as it's been maintained well you shouldn't need to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 06, 6.0 with 123000 on it and I pull a 16,500 Lb fifth wheel and the truck has always done fine.
I try to keep the oil and filters changed and only use Motor craft filters. I would try to find out what oil
the other person used in it and keep using it. If you are going to pull a large trailer or RV, don't use the
Cruse Control. That makes the truck downshift and throw to much boost. Don't be a fared to drive it.
Good luck and enjoy your new to you truck.
Doug

RowdyNoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 06, 6.0 with 123000 on it and I pull a 16,500 Lb fifth wheel and the truck has always done fine.
I try to keep the oil and filters changed and only use Motor craft filters. I would try to find out what oil
the other person used in it and keep using it. If you are going to pull a large trailer or RV, don't use the
Cruse Control. That makes the truck downshift and throw to much boost. Don't be a fared to drive it.
Good luck and enjoy your new to you truck.
Doug
Thanks Doug! I appreciate it!

RowdyNoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave, most of the problems were self induced by people trying get more power out of them. The stock head studs just don't have enough extra meat on them to handle the added stress of a tuner. I have an '04 F250 with 197,000 miles on it. Replaced two injectors at about 90,000 and have used Lucas Diesel supplement since then with no other problems. As long as it's been maintained well you shouldn't need to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hell yeah! Thanks for the reply! Puts me at ease.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I have an '04, just turned 156K this morning. All stock like you. I did have to have injectors replaced at 155K because previous owners at some point didn't maintain fuel filters well enough. Talking with the mechanic who knows these motors well said no tuners, EGR delete or upgrade to one that won't fail, be sure the oil cooler is in good shape and a 4" exhaust to get the heat out. Monitor the engine parameters with gauges or with an Edge monitor or equivalent. Maintain fluids and filters (Motorcraft only). I went to Delo 400 5-40 full synthetic. Rotella T6 is used a lot by folks on here, too. If you don't know the history on the truck there may be things that crop up but that's life with a used rig. Don't worry too much.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58