2005 6.0 diesel wont stay running

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice?

2005 6.0L stock, died in parking lot of grocery store today. When I go to start it it seems to have a low idle, less than 1000 RPM. Try to put it in gear and it dies. Won't idle for very long either. No codes, or warning lights going off.

I had the EGR, FICM, and oil cooler all replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. Checked the air filter and its not spotless, but its not that dirty. The air filter indicator is still in the good zone. No colored smoke from the exhaust or funky smells from exhaust either. All coolant levels are good and I change the oil every 3000 and fuel filter almost every other oil change.

Am at a lost?

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it runs smoothly when it DOES run, then it sounds like a cam or crank position sensor is beginning to fail.

BTW, if you're using the truck in a "normal" driving environment (ie not real dusty or not pulling something real heavy most of the time) you could save yourself a little money by letting the oil changes go to 5,000 miles. And those fuel filters aren't cheap either.... I do mine every 10k, Ford says they're good for 15k.

Just be sure and use gen-u-wine Motorcraft filters. Lots of aftermarket filters for the 6.0 are j-u-n-k.

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well,

I limped it home late last night. It fired up and ran fine after sitting in the parking lot all night. It was in the teens, temp wise. Like it was just fine.:dunno. I am gonna take it to a local diesel shop and see if they can plug in to it and tell me what is going on.

On a side note, I did take it out during a goose scouting trip and its fairly muddy. Im wondering if I didnt fling some mud into the engine compartment and sludge up some sensors. However, my GF did put several hundred miles on it prior to it dying on her. So again...:dunno

Maybe I will change the oil intervals, might put the savings into the bank for future repair bills.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have not been keeping up the 5000 mile oil/filter changes. Maintenance is KEY to a good diesel. Keep up on all of the maintenance. Good luck finding your problem.

Dave :)

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tankerdude was suggesting that I let my oil changes go from 3000 miles to 5000 miles. I am pretty religious with changing my oil and fuel filters within safe intervals.

Dave thanks...still at a lost at the problem. Monday the shop opens and hopefully will have some answers.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
You said it was in the teens for temps. If it was low teens and you had a summer blend of fuel or bad fuel you could of been having a gelling problem. Do you run any kind of additive?

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't run any additives in the winter time. I have not run any additives in the truck since I bought it new. We did have a few days were our temps were below zero. If memory serves me we got down to -10 F. Usually the truck sits during the week and is only driven on the weekends. Maybe since it getting up there in mileage (over 100,000) I should consider it? Any suggestions on which additive would be best? And what exactly is "gelling?"

Another question, if the truck starts fine in the am, then after a few short errands doesn't want to run properly, is that a gelling issue or something much worse?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new CPS, oil change to a 5/40 full synthetic, and a dose of Power Service additive (grey jug @ W-mart) with every top off during the winter.

My .03 :dunno

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Gelling is when diesel starts to go solid. The paraffin in the fuel turns solid and will not flow. Big Rig truckers have heaters in the tanks to keep the fuel hot. Mine would get to about 100° in my KW dump truck. These trucks won't start when the fuel is gelled. Power Service will stop this, except for extreme climates. Where are you located? North Pole?

Dave :)

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaveBen for the explanation of gelling. Makes perfect sense now. I had planned on taking the truck to a shop today, but ending up having to shovel the fresh powder. 14" so far with more snow on the way. Great weather for my snowboarding addiction, but without a truck to get me to the lift, I'm stuck shoveling it instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track