2005 Excursion Drag Link Bracket Weld failure

quietman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Unless I am looking at the pictures wrong that is not a drag link but instead the steering stabilizer mount.

It is a bit unclear in the picture, but the Track Bar (edit) is attached to the same bracket as the stabilizer. The TRACK BAR (2nd edit!) is above and parallel to the steering stab.

www.roenation.com

2005 EXCURSION LIMITED Eddie Bauer edition 4X4 PSD

4" FabTech lift/level, Bilstein mono-gas shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Silverstars, BFG 295/75/16 AT KO's on Factory Mags
LANDYOT Generation II Radius Rods, Ford factory hood insulator

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
A drag link hooks the pitman arm to the axle. I think you are referring to the front track bar. When you installed the lift did it come with a track bar drop bracket? The track bar may be under excessive stress and causing the bracket to break if it was not dropped when the lift was installed.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'm going to have a look at the components on our Excursion for any similarities and will post up any findings.

What are the adjustable tracbar's going for nowadays?

quietman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
A drag link hooks the pitman arm to the axle. I think you are referring to the front track bar. When you installed the lift did it come with a track bar drop bracket? The track bar may be under excessive stress and causing the bracket to break if it was not dropped when the lift was installed.

You are correct, my mistake. The bracket is the Track Bar/SS bracket. The lift is a 4" one that fabTech sells and they say no mods were required to the track bar mount or track bar.

I replaced the track bar with an adjustable one anyway, about $150 extra.

Here is the blog on the lift:

http://www.martialartsacademy.org/levilift.htm

If you want to see what was done.

Thanks for the info...

www.roenation.com

2005 EXCURSION LIMITED Eddie Bauer edition 4X4 PSD

4" FabTech lift/level, Bilstein mono-gas shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Silverstars, BFG 295/75/16 AT KO's on Factory Mags
LANDYOT Generation II Radius Rods, Ford factory hood insulator

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My 4" Revtek lift came with a track bar drop bracket. It totally replaced the upper factory bracket. I would think that the adjustable track bar would compensate for the lift also. With the lift, large tires and the adjustable track bar Ford is not going to warranty the weld on the bracket. I would get a good welder to grind it out and weld it up.

I just went out and looked at mine and all I can say is it looks like a grade school class was learning how to weld when they attached it. The weld has zero penetration and the surface of the weld looks lousy too. I imagine it is done by a machine but that machine needs some adjustment. I then climbed under my 96' and the welds on it(total different looking bracket)look excellent. I guess they just don't build em like they use to.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Now that I posted that I got to thinking. The adjustable track bar would compensate for the lift when the suspension is at ride height but when the suspension compresses the longer bar would be too long and put extra stress on the bracket. I imagine the bar being too long during suspension compression and the lousy welds the bracket just could not take the pressure. I would weld the bracket back on and shorten the bar or get a drop bracket. The longer bar is going to shove the axle sideways when the suspension compresses. The bar needs to have the proper geometry for the suspension to properly cycle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58