Question 2007 6.0 Check Engine Light On

William La Touf

COBRA 6.0
Reaction score
I'm looking for help with my '07 F-250 6.0 with only 30,000 miles on the clock. About a week ago I had the DTC's checked regarding the check engine light and (3) codes came up. P0470 - Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction. P0299 -Turbocharger Underboost Condition. P0401- EGR Flow Insufficient. I don't have any warranty on my truck, so I'm S.O.L. in that regard. I notice a loss of power, sluggishnes from the engine. I replaced the EGR valve that showed no improvement. The original EGR valve was sootted up when I pulled it out. The truck runs fine otherwise, no rough idle, no hard starts, no excessive smoke from exhaust. I was told from a repair shop the turbo would have to be taken off and inspected and clean it and passages at a cost of $700.00. That's if there are no faulty parts that need replacing. I also have a loud metal sounding squeeling from engine upon pulling my 10,000# fifth wheel up 6% grades. The stupid Ford dealers replaced the fan clutch, intercooler sleeves and fan belt with no help. I'm more concerned about the check engine light for now.....

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9.5 times out of 10, a P0470 is solved with a new EBP sensor.

I would suggest you get a scangaugeII, or something like it, to monitor engine parameters. If you do, then compare EBP, MAP and Bare at KOEO.

Also, have you tried cleaning the MAP sensor hose and EBP tube? Otherwise, I would replace the EBP sensor (a bad EBP sensor possibly can cause a P0401 code)

P0299 is a code that can come from anything from turbo, ebp sensor or plugged tube, icp issues, high pressure oil issue, low side oil volume issue, ficm concerns (especially low voltage), failing injectors, low battery voltage or alternator issue, fuel pressure, egr valve, damaged MAP sensor or hose, etc. To know for sure will require more troubleshooting. This code can also be triggered by a P0405 EGR valve failure.

When you pulled the EGR valve, was there any coolant in the intake or as it dry?

Are you sure the screeching sound isn't your turbo?

What mods do you have?

Last edited:

William La Touf

COBRA 6.0
Reaction score
Thank You bismic1 for your info...My truck is all factory stock with no mods. I have the original air filter still in air box. I was told from Ford they last 50,000 miles before needing changing. There was no coolant inside of intake at time of EGR removal about two weeks ago. I told the idiots at two Ford dealers that it seemed like the turbo was making the squeeling noise when the truck was still under factory warranty but they ignored that thought. I found out that Navistar changed the interior design of the turbo in 2007 to disapate soot more efficiently than previous years of 6.0 engines. I only run Ford Motorcraft engine oil and filters since brand new. I was changing oil every 3k but found out 5k intervals were ok. 30,000 miles seems to low to have issues with this engine!!! I'm still a Ford guy and I plan on keeping this puppy...

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that screeching sound could be the rubber hosing on the intake pipe of the turbo...my was doing that after i did the egr delete...it wasnt settled i suppose, after a couple days it stopped...and it only did it under a heavy load...could just have a millimeter gap or even a slight cut...you never know, or if your turbo isnt sucure all the way in the piping....just a thought... let us know your outcome

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If at all possible take your truck to a TRUCK SHOP i hate to say it but very few Ford car dealers have good diesel tech's, trust me I know. 6.0 is known for carbon issues in the intake,egr,turbo etc. don't allow alot of idle time and don't baby it put it on the highway and stomp the throttle.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
2X what hulkster says. Drive it like you stole it! These engines do not like to babied around town. Get on the highway or freeway and FLOOR IT!! Hold it floored til you get up to, or past the speed limit. Look in the mirror for smoke and junk coming out the exhaust.

Dave ;tu

William La Touf

COBRA 6.0
Reaction score
Soccer Mom Truck

Yes I bought the Super Duty brand new in latter '06. It didn't get driven much, just mostly for towing the fifth wheel. Now the poor truck is a soccer mom's taxi. It gets driven mostly around my neighborhood and idles alot in drive through fast food, and bank tellers. I think that is the problem and running cheaper fuel. I have a 2002 F-150 5.4 litre work truck with 203,000 miles and runs like a champ. The tranny has never been out of the truck!! Only issue I had recently was a 02 sensor gone bad $80. I put about 2,500 miles a month on the F-150. I found a decent aftermarket diesel repair shop in Mesa,Az. Instead of throwing parts at this thing myself, I let these guys hopfully fix it. Ford dealers can pound sand......

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(don't allow alot of idle time and don't baby it put it on the highway and stomp the throttle.)
X3, the 6.0 needs to run.
Doug

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. I found a decent aftermarket diesel repair shop in Mesa,Az. Instead of throwing parts at this thing myself, I let these guys hopfully fix it. Ford dealers can pound sand......

:Hatsoff i guess just the way i read that, i busted up laughing!!! the part about ford dealers can pound sand...lol

Last edited:

William La Touf

COBRA 6.0
Reaction score
The inter cooler pipe sleeves have been replaced, complements of an idiot Ford dealer with no help with the squealing on steep inclines. Sounds like a metal squeal as oppose to a whistle sound. I'm taking the truck to a diesel repair shop this week a nd get it fixed right, I hope. I'll keep you all posted on results. Thank You for all your input!! The power of knowledge...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58