2010 f 250 starting problem

Torqueshift

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my truck has 30,000 miles on it every once in a while I'll turn the key to start and it will crank continuously I'm not start then I will turn off the keys ........turning back on and the truck will start light up ......?????

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this same problem on my '05 6.0, and it finally got to the point where it wouldn't start at all. I've still got the dieselcare esp warranty on it, so I had it hauled into the dealer. The problem was an oil leak at the STC fitting on the Hi-Pressure Oil Pump. Up until this repair, I had the same problem you're having for close to a year. I even took the truck in to them in the winter time complaining of it, but the truck didn't act up when they had it. The truck has started fine ever since.

I'm not sure how similar my 6.0 is to your 6.4, but thought I'd share anyway since this problem frustrated me too.

LANDSCAPER

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Long crank time

I just had this same problem on my '05 6.0, and it finally got to the point where it wouldn't start at all. I've still got the dieselcare esp warranty on it, so I had it hauled into the dealer. The problem was an oil leak at the STC fitting on the Hi-Pressure Oil Pump. Up until this repair, I had the same problem you're having for close to a year. I even took the truck in to them in the winter time complaining of it, but the truck didn't act up when they had it. The truck has started fine ever since.

I'm not sure how similar my 6.0 is to your 6.4, but thought I'd share anyway since this problem frustrated me too.

I own a '05 6.0 F350 4x4 . . . . .and have had the long cranking problem for about one year. The alternator and batteries were replaced this past December and now the problem is back . . . . . long crank time, but now it won't start. Finally able to start it up and get it into the Ford dealer. They also think that its an "oil" problem - probably the same as you are describing.

How much do you think it cost to fix? Has anyone else had this problem?

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the cost would be, it's not marked down on my ticket since it's all warranty. Once they got to working on it, I think it took about 3/4 of a day.

LANDSCAPER

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Metalhead,

It's being worked on today, I'm hoping it's still covered under my extended warranty. I'll let you know if it was the same problem.

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also think that its an "oil" problem - probably the same as you are describing.

This doesn't happen on a 6.4, injectors don't run that way. If it under warentee let em look at it, if not, do the fuel filter first.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Well......the truck is running fine ......I added cetane to the mix.

if your truck is a '10 and under warranty. go to the dealer. at least document the problem for later on down the road. it will be in the computer system.

cetane is NOT octane. throwing in cetane booster actually LOWERS the energy content of the fuel and your mileage will go down. all it is is solvent like toluene or acetone.

getting decent usld fuel is 45-48 min cetane anyhow.

you are injecting at 45,000 psi or better with a common rail fuel system. common rail does not use high pressure oil to drive the injectors like the 7.3 and 6.0's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr