371,000 miles! I need help

hugo0612

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a used F250 4x4 truck and somebody is selling a 2000 F250 4x4 diesel truck with 371,000 miles for $8,000. The owner said truck used to be a rail road company truck and all schedule maintenance has been done. The truck looks very clean and everything works, but I don't know if I should buy a truck with that many miles... I will only use the truck to pull my boat and may be weekend shopping at Home Depot. What things I must inspect on the truck before buying it? Do you thing the price is right? What could go wrong with this truck with a lot of miles? please help me out with your ideas, experience, and knowledge to make a good decision. Thanks, Hugo 386-837-6778, [email protected]

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I need to buy a used F250 4x4 truck and somebody is selling a 2000 F250 4x4 diesel truck with 371,000 miles for $8,000. The owner said truck used to be a rail road company truck and all schedule maintenance has been done. The truck looks very clean and everything works, but I don't know if I should buy a truck with that many miles... I will only use the truck to pull my boat and may be weekend shopping at Home Depot. What things I must inspect on the truck before buying it? Do you thing the price is right? What could go wrong with this truck with a lot of miles? please help me out with your ideas, experience, and knowledge to make a good decision. Thanks, Hugo 386-837-6778, [email protected]

That IS alot of miles. The 7.3 has been known to go well past that mark, but often there are plenty of other things to go wrong. Like brakes, trans, ball joints (whole front end for that matter) injectors are also commonly needed by then. I wouldn't think that a RR co's employees would treat a company truck really nice, which would make me plenty leery of it. It could be a great trck for you. But you might need to do alot of fixing on it too.
Hope this helps...
BTW, welcome to SDD! :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to second Roy on this one, I bought one used high mileage truck in my life and it looked great on the out side but that sucker hundred dollar ed me to death. Good luck on buying a used truck.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
371,000 miles.........$8,000..........rail road company truck

I personally would not be comfortable with that deal.

Tbar

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hugo, I just happened to think, my brother's got his 96 F250 PSD, 4x4 Crew cab, 5 spd manual, with 320,000 miles. He has done many repairs to it, in the last 40,000 miles, including new injectors, clutch, front end, brakes, etc. Is getting a bit of rust around the wheel wells, but should be good for along time. He wants $8400. I have no idea where you're from, I'm in central WI, I just thought I'd mention it :sweet

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hmmm... makes the '86 with 240k I looked at Monday seem a bit overpriced...

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
must be abig boat if ya need that truck. :) i also know many trucks that are still truckin @ this many miles and not much work done but also ones that have, guess it's kind of a crap shoot. how much of a gambler are ya. good luck -ck

bnkrtstk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I work for a fleet leasing and management company which handles the fleets of three railroads. Two very big ones in fact. Trust me when I tell you, YOU DO NOT WANT TO BUY A RAILROAD TRUCK!!!!!!! Especially one with 371K miles for $8K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track