Question 4WD HUB Noisy

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay here is the best explanation i can give. I was driving with my passenger window down and i heard a sound like a chain was dragging along the ground. When i looked at my passenger front hub i found a steel ring that was clanking around on the ujoints of 4wd axle. I was able to push the piece of steel back into the back of the hub/axle area. Then i grabbed my axle at the ujoints area and tried to turn it but it was acting like it was locked, i double checked the hub and it was in the auto position.
i jacked up the tire and put a pry bar in the ujoints to hold it and turned the wheel and it popped and started to turn freely, but i can hear a small clicking noise as the wheel turns. Probably normal but thought i would mention that.
I then grabbed the ujoints to make sure the axle was free wheeling and that is when i noticed the whole assembly can move about an inch, i can shake it back and forth. It is tight going into the axle tube but very sloppy going into the hub, the drivers side does not move so i am pretty sure i have a problem just not sure what. Anybody have any ideas. i have never had one of these hubs apart. On my wifes 7.3 we lost a bearing and the whole front end almost fell off. can this happen with my 06 6.0 the wheel has no play top to bottom and spins nicely, it doesnt feel like it will fall off if i keep going until i can learn how to pull it apart. Any thoughts are appreciated. :confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Moving the whole wheel assembly while the truck is on stands sounds like Ball Joints. Your hub does not have wheel bearings in it. They are behind the hub. Remove the hub and then see if the assy moves with a bar. If so, then the unit bearings are shot. These are NOT CHEAP and can not be replaced individually. Sorry but that is how Ford makes them. Ball joints are another deal all together. Good luck.

Dave :)

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i knew this was going to be hard to explain because i dont know anybody that has ever had this. If you look at the 4wd axle where the ujoint is in the steering knuckle i can grab the axle/ujoints and it wobbles up and down about an inch going into the hub assemlby area. Does this make sense what i am saying. ?????
The wheel assembly is tight, the ball joints are not the question it is the 4wd axle that is slopping around on the passenger side. Im not sure im going to be able to explain this properly. in the picure the ring i put back was the thin shiny ring you can see it looks like it has a crease in it and it is about 1/4 inch thick, then the short axle begins and goes into the hub. ??? I dont know if this is going to help explain it but im trying.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is the latest, i pulled the whole thing apart, you have to remove the hub switch, that is the easiest part. then take a strong pair of "C" snap ring pliers and remove the inner clip, then remove the brake caliper and brake mount, then take the four bolts out of the back of the knuckle this releases the spindle/hub assy. remove the assy with some coaxing from something heavy.
Now that your holding the assy. you can take it to a work bench and remove the external snap ring on the back, "strong pliers requiered" flip the assy. over and place a seal remover inside the hub and smack the bearing out.
Go to the ford dealer and they will tell you that they dont sell just the bearing you have to buy the whole spindle assy. in order to get the new bearing. cost $600.00
after some coaxing they will find out that they can get the Bearing kit for $65.00 Now go home and reassemble the whole thing with the old parts so you can get your truck out of the garage for 2 days while you wait for the part to come in because they wont stock it. Dammit anyhow.
at least i know now.
Also if you want now would be the time to remove the ball joints and pull the axle out and replace the dust seal that is probably floating on the axle. Hope this helps somebody.
The symptons/ sound of the bearing failure are the sound like a rock is stuck in your brake caliper and it squeals but if you back up or turn the squealing will go away. the bearing failure is what took out the piece of steel that is like a dust cover that i originally posted.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I found out the same thing from my Dealer. If you want the old style bearings without the spindle, you can get a kit for something like $1200.00. Worth it?? I don't think so. I am glad you found and fixed it! :)

Dave

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its all done, i have one last question somebody might be able to answer. I installed the axle with the new dust seal which is way better than the old one, its steel and pounds into the axle tube. I had a new vacuum seal installed on the axle by a local driveline shop that cost an extra $110.0 to press the old one off and the new one on.
Heres my question, when i installed the axle i used the spindle to push the axle all the way in, when you slide the axle in the vacuum seal becomes so tight i couldnt figure out any other way to push it the last 3/4 of an inch so i put the spindle in and tightened the four spindle nuts which pulled every thing in to the knuckle. i believe that is why the axle is so hard to turn now. does anybody think this was a bad way to set it up, i figured it will loosen up after i drive in four wheel drive a bit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to burn anything up. After i went down the freeway the hub area was ambient temperature. I wonder if i run 4wd will it melt the new vacuum seal?? or is the way they put it togther at the factory??

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the ford dealer and they will tell you that they don't sell just the bearing you have to buy the whole spindle assy. in order to get the new bearing. cost $600.00
after some coaxing they will find out that they can get the Bearing kit for $65.00 Now go home and reassemble the whole thing with the old parts so you can get your truck out of the garage for 2 days while you wait for the part to come in because they wont stock it. Dammit anyhow.
at least i know now.

Part #'s please
Timken states they don't sell the internals do to the extreme torque required to assemble the unit bearing
How did u do the disassembly ??

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
You need a special tool to install that seal on the axle and a special tool to seat the axle shaft with seal into the knuckle. Unfortunately the damage is most likely already done to the seal.
Ken

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58