4x4 grinding -and winter is coming!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some help on this one. My truck has been doing great over here in Germany, and I want it to stay that way lol. I know the snow is fast approaching here and figured I should test my 4x4(I usually do monthly anyway). After switching to 4-high and making the first turn in the open parking lot, I heard alot of popping and grinding from the front end. I straightened the wheel and out and the grinding /popping continued. I stopped, got out of the truck to try and lock the hubs to see if that would fix the issue. turns out the passenger side hub is locked up tight. I couldnt move it by hand and wasnt about to attempt to move it with added leverage.

What do you guys think this could be? maybe a collapsed vacuum hose? but then I should still be able to manually turn my I hubs I would think.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's still in 4h.. try backing up some.. then forward.. do that a couple'a times.. see if that makes a diff ??

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then.. prolly time to do what jasper said. Maybe look at both sides ? These Hub gremlins seem to happen 1 after the other ?

Joe

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Something like hubs, I would for sure do both.

Sent from my *******-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
My vacuum lines looked fine. and the fact that my driver's side hub engages from the in-cab switch, I'm guessing the solenoid valve and vacuum pump are working correctly. So, I'm ordering all the items to service my hubs using Guzzle's how-to for the needle bearing lubrication and the front autolock hub lubrication. I will be ordering most of the items off of amazon and diesel orings. Looking for suggestions for name brands on the following:

1. Bearing grease
2. an automotive parts cleaner solvent that will not damage nylon or neoprene rubber
3. high quality axle grease

Here is a list of what I will be ordering as of right now. Please feel free to add any parts you think I may be missing to perform the service. with this being my daily driver and no spare vehicle to drive, I would really like to get this done first try!

Hub Knuckle O-Ring Seal (Yellow O-Ring) (2)
Studs that fasten hubs to knuckle frame(8)
Autolock Hub Ring Clips (2) And O-Rings (2) from diesel orings
Needle bearing Ford-C6TZ-3123A (2)
Front Hub Vacuum Thrust Washer (2)
Front Hub Thrust Washers - Set of 3 Washers (2)
Permatex White Lithium Grease
DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant
Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant for studs
Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Gauge Test Tuner Kit

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track