Question 4X4 Locking Hubs

MiamiVice

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Greetings folks,

I need to replace the factory looking hubs on my truck and I was wondering if there are any type of fixed hubs.

I have been searching online but the only option that I was able to find other than the factory, is the manual looking hubs but I want to try a fixed solution with no bearings or other points of failure

A fixed alternative to the auto or manual looking hubs will keep the front differential rotating all the time but I believe that for as long as I have the transfer case on 2X4 H, I will be able to turn etc

I saw a setup like that on a Tundra 4X4. No looking hubs at all, the axle is permanently attached to the wheels. Some military vehicles have the same setup but I haven't been able to find a fixed and permanent locking hub, just a piece of alloy that fits on the hole where the looking hub comes and connect to the axle permanently

Thank you ahead of time

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome MiamiVice. Keeping the hubs locked will cause wear in the front end gears. You will have steering problems if you have posi in the front axle (not likely). And your mileage will suffer. I do keep my hubs locked in during winter (Manual Transfer case)and have not had any problems. I would unlock them if you take a long trip on the highways.

Dave

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
You are talking about drive slugs. Wheelers put them in swapped in Dana 60 axles to eliminate the weak hubs. Just look at some wheeling sites and you should be able to find them. Most front axles out there don't have locking hubs. Most jeeps have been like that for years. But expect your mileage to go down 1-2 mpg and a little more noise in the front from the front drive shaft spinning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58