Question 4x4 Switch Light Out

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All,

The backlight for the 4x4 switch on the dash is burned out. I am wanting to replace the light, may even upgrade to LED's so they won't burn out again, but, what all do I have to remove to get to that switch and the associated light. If anyone has pictures of how to properly dissect the dash it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is switching over to LED's worth it in the dash? I have several flashlights and lanterns that are LED, but what are the pros and cons in the dash of a truck? If I am going to have the dash most of the way apart, it seems as good a time as any to do the upgrade....

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
4X4 Switch

Well for starters the 4X4 stich will pop out using a flat bladed screw driver on each side and pull gently, then the light is actually embosed in a housing that will turn 1/4 turn and fall out. the bulb you cannot buy from Ford and they are difficult to pull out, radio shack will have them or atleast around here they do. I had to pull the switch apart and solder a new bulb in with a green cover..... Good luck to you.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why did Ford have to make this such a P.I.T.A? So is this a "grain of salt" bulb link in a radio? I would have thought it was like what is in the instrument cluster..... oh well, I guess I will have to tear it apart and fix it..... Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64