50 Gallon Fuel Tank

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Next question concerns a 50 Gallon Auxilary tank monuted on the bed.
It has a ball valve with a line connected to the Fill housing.
I don't know if it is blocked or if both tanks have to be vented, but it will not fill the side tank.
The last picture is on top of of the tank and may be a vent of some type but not sure.
Does anyone have a similar set up that might shed some light?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tanks have to vent. Your replacing air with a liquid so the air has to go some were. Are you filling the Auxilary on the deck from the the filler neck on the side of the truck or are you filling it from on top of the tank? The set up there looks to be that you have three tanks. Two on the inside of the frame rails one behind the axle and one in front of the axles and one on the deck? The one on the deck should be filled from the top of the tank. Post a pic of the deck tank.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The tanks have to vent. Your replacing air with a liquid so the air has to go some were. Are you filling the Auxilary on the deck from the the filler neck on the side of the truck or are you filling it from on top of the tank? The set up there looks to be that you have three tanks. Two on the inside of the frame rails one behind the axle and one in front of the axles and one on the deck? The one on the deck should be filled from the top of the tank. Post a pic of the deck tank.

You are right, the aux tank on the deck is filled from the top and I do have 3 tanks. I don't know if the cap (new) is vented or not, I'll have to look. Thanks

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right, the aux tank on the deck is filled from the top and I do have 3 tanks. I don't know if the cap (new) is vented or not, I'll have to look. Thanks

The cap on the aux tank needs to be vented.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The caps don't need to be vented, but the tanks need to be vented, usually to the charcoal canister under the hood..

Dave

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Venting Auxilary Tank

The caps don't need to be vented, but the tanks need to be vented, usually to the charcoal canister under the hood..

Dave

Since I just bought the fill cap, I'll see if there is a way to run a small hose to the canister (after I find its location).

Thanks Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all aux tank are set up with the vent tube and the cap is the only vent.

Steel tank and are for fuel transfer only with a pump that is mounted to the tank with a fuel handle. The cap is the only vent for it. They are not DOT rated for aux tank .

Alumn. tanks are for aux tank and/or fuel transfer and are DOT rated for aux tank.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Since I just bought the fill cap, I'll see if there is a way to run a small hose to the canister (after I find its location).

Thanks Dave

when ya find it let us know.:tounge

anyways a diesel doesnt have a canister thingy.they have the aux tank connected to the vent for the stock tank.gonna have to find a way to vent the tank or another way for the aux tank to fill the stock tank and put the right vent back in the stock tank

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Auxiliary tank not legal??

Now that poses another problem.
After reading several articles about the DOT process and auxiliary tanks, this set up on my truck is illegal.
Does anyone else have a similar set up on their truck?? ( I won't tell):sly

Who knows how long it has been on there and I am almost positive the PO used this while pulling a multiple car hauler up and down the East coast on the 5th wheel.
I think I'll pull all of the lines, the vent from the middle tank and the ball valve from the aux tank and see where the problem lies.

Thanks to all of you for comments, suggestions and showing me the error of someone elses ways.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would sagest is undo the deck tank and cap that tank at the ball valve and get you a pump that that screws in the top of the tank.

This is what I'm talking about
109578_med.gif

This is legal in florida

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58