5r/TT springs & shackles

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
' Bout 2 weeks ago, on our way home from an RV outing, the R-rear, main leaf spring snapped/broke, on our 5r. (Thank you Caltrans)(Nuther story)

Sooo, knowing I had proly 50+K (fatigue) on our 02 Montana.. over the last 2 weeks, weather permitting, I've been replacing all 4 spring sets.. Shackles and Bushings. (and Shocks)

As I R&R'd each set, I found ALL of the OE shackle holes (32) to be elongated, all the bushings (10) shot, and all the (10) bolts, .. worn.

My SOP when I see crap like this, is to Up-grade. I did.

Soo, if anyone out there has some miles/time on a trailer, of any kind ? You might wana take a look-see at your Springs & Shackles ??

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Just goes to show that Travel Trailers are not made to TRAVEL! Have a Merry Christmas Joe.

Dave

First_ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my shackles and vinyl bushings with a 2 year old trailer with less than 10k miles. I changed them with heavy duty greasable kit. I believe it was made by dexter. It had thicker shackle plates, bronze bushings, greasable bolts. no more issues:D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my shackles and vinyl bushings with a 2 year old trailer with less than 10k miles. I changed them with heavy duty greasable kit. I believe it was made by dexter. It had thicker shackle plates, bronze bushings, greasable bolts. no more issues:D

;tu That exactly what I did.. Dexter greazables. all 'round, with 4 new, Helwig (sic?) spring sets.

JMO but I think the RV industry gets away with a lota CRAP.. when it comes to ALOTA things.... Tires, Brakes, Suspension parts, Frames... I couldn't believe the Dif between the Dexter parts verses OEM (Lippert) stuff.

Joe

Stamped on one of the springs was: Made In India.. Hmmmm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58