Help Needed 5R110 transmission feels like it's in neutral all the time!!!

csuggs1217

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok this is my first post so here it goes. I have an 06 f-250 FX4 6.0L w/142,000mi on it. This is my daily driver I have had the truck since 20,000mi. I was driving the other day running 70mph or so on the highway and all the sudden I felt a light jerk more of a harder than normal shift w/ a light pop sound not loud at all and it was like I had put it in neutral. The truck coasted to the side of the road. I was pulling a car hauler trailer(1500lbs or so) but empty. Now when I was on the side of the road I could put it in D and R and 123 the engine would load up like it went in to gear, but when I gave it gas it was like it was in neutral. So I talked to a shop and the guy told me I had striped the splines in the torque converter. Well with this info I pulled the trans just to find that the splines in the TC look perfect. Just to clarify my trans fluid looks good, no burnt smell, plenty of fluid and I pulled the pan and it was as clean as could be. Could the TC just go bad and stop working? I have never had it slip and I have never had any other trans problem except for a tow/haul light flash every once in a while, with that I would just turn the truck off then on and it would be gone. I'm at a loss at this point any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounding like maybe one of a couple of thing maybe wrong, a planetary gear let go, the trans. pump died, the TC came apart inside or a solenoid in the trans. is bad. With the flashing tow light I thinking it could be a solenoid problem. That means putting it all back to gather and finding a shop that can check the computer for codes and test the trans.
Chances are it not going to be a cheep fix.

csuggs1217

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just went to the Ford dealer and talked to the master tech. He told me that's it is nothing electrical and that if you unplugged every wire on the trans that you would still have 2nd and rev by default. Also if it was a shaft or the planetary gear there would be metal in the pan. But he did say that he has seen the TC come apart inside that it would act like it was in neutral, like I'm having but that it could be the pump too. So I'm going to start with a new TC and hope that's it. Then worry about the pump. Has anyone heard of a company in Cape Coral, FL called Florida Torque Converter they look ok and give a 3year warranty. here is a link to there converter on e-bay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261134110579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) If any of you can tell me a better place my ears are open.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Haven't heard of the company you mentioned, but I HAVE heard of Sun Coast in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. They have a 800 number and manufacture their own converters. They do have a reputation for a solid product. Best of luck to you.

Damien Ruffing

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What did your problem end up being. My truck just did exactly what your explaining and could really use your help.

Thank You,
Damien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64