5R110 Transmission Longevity?

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After just sinking a bunch more money into my 6.0L (will save the details for another thread) my thoughts have turned to what could be next that would be big money that I should be thinking about. I've always had the impression the 5R110 has been a very solid tranny but would like to hear some fresh SDD member input and experiences, good and bad. Also, any thoughts on tranny flushes vs drain and fill, external filter change only or both internal and external? Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I haave flushed my tranny every 60,000 miles. Flushing the tranny will increase the tranny life significantly. How much? Who knows in your case or mine?

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking back to another time when I was researching for another vehicle and read a lot of stories about transmissions that died shortly after a flush as the flush could potentially dislodge debris that then sticks in valves, etc. Hard to say how much truth there was to some of these but it has made me a bit hesitant to find out.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Many years back, people would change the tranny fluid like you and I change engine oil. To each their own. :)

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not like engine oil.It doesnt get fouled with combustion debris,and doesnt get as hot either (normally).Hydraulic oil doesnt "wear out",it can become contaminated with solid particles from excessive wear or impending component failure.The biggest killer is heat,which causes it to oxidize and varnish components.Control the heat,and in theory,the fluid should last forever.I did a complete fluid change on my 4r100 when it was new,about 20 miles and switched it to Amsoil.Never touched it fot 110k miles,and when I did, the fluid was just like it was when it went in,no scum in the pan.Put it all back together with a pan fluid only change and ran it 8 more years untill this spring at 200k.It was working fine except it had developed a significant flare going into OD,so I just changed the whole unit out for a BD.I did ,and still do have a magnetic inline filter that I change every year,but the fluid in the old one looked and smelled fine at 200k.Understand that I have run and towed the crap out of this truck since new,and that hasnt changed.Even pulling the 5er I cant get the trans over 180 degrees,I dont know about the 4r100 because I never had a temp gage on it,but the oil never turned color or stunk.I think if you can keep it below 210 it should run forever,barring mechanical failure,on the initial oil fill.just my 02 and experience on the truck but the 04 Grand Cherokee is basically the same story with 190k on it.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I agree that heat seems to be the biggest killer and that's what took out my trans on my old '99 many years ago. It was very easy to get high temps with the small cooler that was stock. When I changed the stock cooler out for a 6.0l cooler, my temps dropped about 30 degrees or more and I never saw elevated temps again. Also seeing very low temps on my current 5R110, never have to worry about it, even when towing heavy.

Last edited:

Sark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After just sinking a bunch more money into my 6.0L (will save the details for another thread) my thoughts have turned to what could be next that would be big money that I should be thinking about. I've always had the impression the 5R110 has been a very solid tranny but would like to hear some fresh SDD member input and experiences, good and bad. Also, any thoughts on tranny flushes vs drain and fill, external filter change only or both internal and external? Thanks!

I've got 80,000+ of the 102,300+ miles towing a 37ft. 1/5whl at max. gross weight, 21,000lbs. I had Ford service the trans every 15 - 18,000 miles & not iota problem.

carbonation

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had 140k on mine when I traded it. No issues. Mainly used to tow 9k full time.
Changed fluid every 30 to 40k, with filters internal and external each time.
Always used Mercon LV.
LV and SP are not the same, in spite of what many websites parrot.
Flush doesn't do much good unless the place flushing can heat the fluid to open the thermostat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64