6.0 Compressor Removal Tips

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0 A/C Compressor Removal Tips

I am in the process of trying to replace the compressor on my 2005 F250 and looking for tips. I've found a few different instructions but would like some insight to how accurate they are, and any tips if you prefer a different approach. My Haynes manual instructs me to remove the trans cooler but have read and been told it's unnecessary. The best instructions I've found were on a Yahoo questions page a while back. I'm going tomorrow to get the system drained so I can start picking at it this week.

The instructions I found:

1. Evacuate the A/C system.

2. Remove the coolant de-gas bottle cap.

3. Drain SOME coolant from the cooling system, using a 3/4" or 19mm wrench on the radiator draincock.

4. Using a pair of needle nose pliers or squeeze type pliers, disconnect the upper rad hose and coolant de-gas bottle hose AT THE RADIATOR.

5. Using a 5/16" or 8mm socket and ratchet, remove the two fan shroud bolts at the top of the radiator.

6. Using a pair of side cutters or appropriate trim clip removal tool, remove all the plastic clips to the rad support.

7. Using the same 5/16" or 8mm socket and ratchet, remove the two rad support brackets (2 bolts on each).

8. Using the pair of side cutters or trim tool, remove all the wire clip retainers that retain the main battery positive cable to the upper rad support.

9. Push top of radiator slightly forward, resting against the support, and pull the fan shroud STRAIGHT UPWARD to remove, taking care as necessary to clear the vistronic fan harness.

10. Using a 15mm socket and appropiate extension, remove the FOUR or FIVE (depending on whether this is dual alternator or not) bolts that secure the inner fan shroud to the engine, taking care not to damage the fan blades or cut yourself in the process.

11. Using a 1/2" drive johnson bar, release tension from the belt tensioner on the passenger side of the engine.

12. Working under the vehicle, disconnect the electrical connector to the A/C compressor on the lower passenger side of the engine.

13. Using a 10mm wrench, disconnect the A/C line connection to the compressor, as well as the three bolts that secure the compressor to the engine block.

14. You will probably need to finnesse the compressor out with the bolts in the holes of the compressor, due to the tight space limitations on this particular vehicle.

15. Installation is just the reverse of removal. Hope this helps.

(Credit Ford Goddess @ Yahoo Answers)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58