6.0 fuel problem

tabdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an '06 6.0 and twice now it is running out of fuel at or slightly less that an 1/8th of a tank. All I could find was info on a 7.3 doing that and something about a "duckbill" mod or repair in the tank. What is that and could it be the same thing with my truck?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be the “showerhead” on the sending unit has failed or fallen off. Since the 80’s Ford has used a plastic pick-up with a screen at the bottom. These can deteriorate over time and fall off. Now the bottom of the metal line on the sender is now the empty mark, rather than the bottom of the tank. You will have to remove the sending unit from the tank. This may involve dropping the tank, or removing the bed. I’ve not had to do this on a SuperDuty but on the older dual tank trucks, you could remove the sender from the midship tank without having to drop the tank. But the rear one you have to drop, or pull the bed.

Here’s what I’m referring to

CBF01734-D9C6-4567-9D55-BFA85EAC4B4A.jpeg

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also that red vacuum relief valve (on the side of the "shower-head" assembly) falls out sometimes! It is at about the 1/4 to 1/8th mark. When it comes out, air will be sucked in at that level.

Also, you can pull the sending unit out by just "jacking up" the bed. It doesn't have to be completely removed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr