Help Needed 6.0 Tranny Cooler Install on a 7.3

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I got a heck of a deal on a BRAND NEW 6.0 Transmission Cooler today and just was kinda lookin at stuff and seeing what it would be like to install it. This does not look fun! So of course, I know you all have done these before and know the tricks of the trade. I need help to say the least.

Here's what I know so far:

1. The new cooler uses the same mounting holes as the old one does.
2. One of the lines has to be rerun because of location issues.
3. The size of the fittings on the new vs. old are different.

My questions:

1. Most importantly, how in the heck to do you access the thing? I got the decorative rubber thingy off that covers the top of the condensor and was able to see the existing tranny cooler. I was able to remove the grill no problem. But what do you do to get around the condensor? Can you move it around? Do you have to remove the bumper and go from the bottom? Do you have to remove it and then recharge the entire A/C system? I really hope its not this.

2. What fittings, hoses, clamps etc do I need to buy?

I snapped a few pics to illustrate my concerns below.

I can get to the screws of the top brackets, but have no idea how to get to te botom ones.

Any help would be appreciated!

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pictures at home from when I did mine. Will try to post later.

I removed the srcews holding the condensor and with bungies, moved it as far as I could to get access. I thought the bottom screws were right there at the bottom of cooler. I think the old cooler is 3/8 line and the new is 1/2. About three feet of 1/2 hose is what you need. Addapters for each hose and clamps. The 6.0 cooler lines are on the bottom as opposed to the top of the 7.3.

All in all was not a bad job, but removing and installing the coolers was the "fun" part.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Pull the grill, cross member, and I/C. I laid the AC condenser on top of the engine. The new cooler has 1/2" fittings and the stock lines are 3/8".

I ran the driver side line down, 90* fitting along the lower cross member, 90* to the rear and to the stock line.

Passenger side down and 90* to the rear and to the stock line.

Make sure you wrap all of the lines to prevent chaffing. Also used loom holders to keep everything tidy. If you reduce down to 3/8" line right of the cooler you can run the 3/8" inside 5/8".

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
pull the I/C too??? :dizzy Why would you need to do that? I wouldnt think you would want to mess with that since the tranny cooler is in front of it. To pull the crossmember, do the headlinghts have to come out too? That doesnt look fun. I'm assuming youre able to lay the condensor on top of the motor becuase the lines are flexible? Does the front bumper have to come off too?

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You may not need to pull the IC. I may have had that off for cleaning. When I did mine I pulled most of the front end apart and did some rust removal and touch up. The condenser lines are flexible. The crossmember comes apart on each side of the truck. There are mounts screwed to the crossmember for the condenser. When I installed the V10 cooler I left the condenser in place but removed the upper supports which allows you to get you arm down in there for the fasteners. Sorry for the confusion.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics man!:sweet

1 Question I have...what are the springy lookin deals you have on the lines there? Is that to prevent a kink from forming?

Thanks!

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I was watching one of the car shows on Spike or Speed and saw these. They are available at NAPA but I do not remember their name. They have a flexable bar in them that lets them bend 90* and hold that bend and not kink the hose. I only used two of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14