Question 6.0 Trans Cooler on 7.3 Truck

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
OK, you've convinced me on upgrading my 7.3 tranny cooler. Any recommendations on a shop put a 6.0 cooler in there for me in NW Houston? Ideas on what that might run?

Do they have filters from factory? Or is that an aftermarket item?

Thanks.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn;t look like it would be that big of a diy project. Just disconnect two house and reconect to the new cooler (maybe some adapters needed).

Are you talking about the transmosson filter?

JRJ04

Reaction score
i did it and glad i did. i live it sw houston and it lowered the temps about 40 degrees.

i thought it would be an easy diy project...but its not as simple as one would think.

I ended up having it done, and somewhat assisted the guy doing it. To do it right, you need to remove the a/c condensor and then you need to buy special transmission fluid compatible hoses to reroute the cooler lines. It is of utmost importantce that you get the correct hoses, or they will leak like you wouldnt believe. Don't ask how i know.

All in all, I would say...yes, go for it, but make sure you have the proper tools and equipment to do it. Otherwise, I would get it done.

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
As for the filter, I was not clear. Thought I read somewhere that some put an external filter to the cooler - additional to the one in the transmission.

[Wow, 40 deg reduction would be great! Mine reached 210-220 towing in N. Texas last fall. And that wasn't even summer.]

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There are two filters in the 5R110 tranny. One inside the pan and the other is an external filter mounted near the radiator. You should have both for the best protection.

Dave

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
IIRC, there is an internal tranny filter and an optional inline filter that you can install near the tranny. This is for the 4R100 though. Since you would be installing a 6.0 trannly cooler and you would have to switch out the hoses for the tranny cooler, i would just install the external filter near the new cooler like Daveben said.

Also, I hope you are not using that Marvel Mystery oil in your avatar. That stuff came in pretty low on the lubricity factor test.

Last edited:

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
Thanks, folks, for the 6.0 filter upgrade information.

clintusaf, to what lubricity test do you refer? Friend of mine is a long time mechanic and he swears by MMO (also a cool picture).

[ Hey, see your Bossier City locale. I am from the Lafayette area, graduated LSU years ago. Go Tigers! ]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64