Question 6.0 Tubro noise

Zilla 58

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I shut the engine off I am hearing a noise like shaking an empty spray paint can with a steel ball in it. This dose not happen every time, but often. At times the noise dosen't start until after I slam the drivers door. It sounds to me like its coming from under the truck and from the exhaust system. My Ford mechanic thinks its the turbo winding down and blades are touching the housing.
The truck runs fine other wise and I never hear any noise until its shut off.
I will be checking into this more tomorrow. I believe the end play on the main turbo shaft .001 to .004" to be normal, does this sound correct?
Has anyone had to replace there turbo yet?
Who offer's replacments and at what cost? This truck has 247k miles on the clock now
Thanks
Zilla

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If the impeller blades on the turbo is making contact with the housing it is EASY to see. Just remove the duct on the intake side ( engine off ) and look closely at the fan blades and the housing bore, you can also grab the shaft of the impeller and try to move it laterally.

Sometimes the bearings will crap out but not allow contact between the housing and impeller.

It is not uncommon for a turbo to need replacement...particularly if it is not shut down properly. A turbo charged engine should always be idled for a few minutes before being shut down to prevent oil starvation and premature bearing failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim