6.0 yes or no?

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 has been a great truck, however the body is starting to rust. Im thinking of going to a 6.0 crew cab because they seem to be affordable these days. I have heard the horror stories about the dependability of the 6.0 and wonder if I should just spend the extra money and by a 6.4 or redo what I got. Are the 6.0 engines a flop or is it more talked up rather?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.0 and I have never had engine troubles. Maintenance is the key. After that is an understanding of how these engines can fail and what you can do about it. If you put a tuner on it, you will blow head gaskets if you get on it. They can be replaced with ARP studs, but not easy or cheap. I have never had a tuner or chip in my truck and it runs great, with ~130,000 miles on it. Get an Oasis report from a Ford dealer if you find a truck you are interested in. This will show all of the work that FORD has done on that truck. Oasis is free. Good Luck!

Dave :)

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do the EGR delete sooner the better on the 6L.

butch2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are a over maintenance person , the 6.0 , may be ok for you , but if you have no idea how the previous owner maintained it , it could hit you for $1000 every month , till you get it figured out ? any service history is of great benefit to you , , the 7.3 was a great engine with little trouble , if that is what you are use to then the 6.0 could be a headache to you , and if a 6.0 is in your future you should purchase a scan tool if you already do not own one .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58