6.0L blew its intercooler tube

Max Power

Reaction score
My uncles 03 6.0L blew its intercooler tube off today. It is quite oily. Is he going to need to have his turbo replaced because of the oil?

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Max, I think you can just clean everything up real well. My hose blew off 6-times in one weekend. Here is what I’ve done, I added 3-turnbuckles and exhaust clamps. It has not blown off once since doing this, and I hit 28 to 29 pounds of boost all the time. I have read on other forums, and where I have my oil change, people are blowing holes in the blue hoses now! I should be getting my new hump hoses any day now; hopefully the new hoses will eliminate that problem, bad enough to blow the hose off, but I can’t imagine blowing a hole in the blue hoses and trying to buy one out somewhere in tim-buck-too. :rolleyes:

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Max, don’t quote me on this, because I’ll probably get it wrong. I read somewhere with the new EPA laws / EGR this 6.0 has a different crank case venting system, so we are the lucky ones who will see more oil in the intercooler hose that the earlier models. Good friend of mine has a 2000 Dodge w/ Cummins, until he made a filtered dump can for his crank case vent, he had oil all over the under side of his pickup down the drivers side. Now did your uncle blow the lower hose off the hot side of the intercooler? Here is what I did, trying to avoid that also.

Reaction score
Max Power said:
His bottom hose blew off. Top is fine. It's not normal for oil to be in there, is it?

I get a bigger collection of oil seepage on the bottom hose than I do anywhere else - so I'd have to say it's normal, least for me anyways. I've never had a hose blow off, but I do check them for tightness at least once a month.

Ron

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Same place as your pictures.
Well the only thing I can think of, is buy some exhaust clamps and turnbuckles. I seen pictures on another site, where a guy did basically the same thing as I did, but he drilled holes, and used pop rivets, with a cam lever clamp. I think his idea is just as good as mine, but I’d rather not drill any holes at this point. I can’t believe there is enough pressure to blow that hose through a 3-inch exhaust clamp, I could be wrong, but that would be a first time :roflmao

Max Power

Reaction score
Well the oil is 9/10ths of the problem in my opinion. If it was dry it would not be an issue. I still don't understand how or why there is oil in there. If it is coming in through the EGR that is one more reason to block off the EGR.

swanee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it's the EGR, more likely the Crankcase vent. I've got a Racor CCV4500 waiting to go in mine.

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
swanee said:
I doubt that it's the EGR, more likely the Crankcase vent.
But swanee, isn’t the EGR, and the new way of venting the crankcase all related to the new EPA laws? Isn’t that the reason for the 6.0 in the first place, the 7.3 was just not environmentally friendly? Now lets see we can spray oil all over the ground, and be more environmentally friendly! Least it keeps the dust down on my road! :rolleyes: :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr