Question 6.0L Concerns

mickey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an 2005-2007 F350 CC. Now I'm wondering if that is a good idea with the 6.0L diesel. What can someone look for in buying a used 6.0 to see if you are buying trouble? One ford mechanic said that they get a lot of 6.0's in with problems. Is this a maintenance issue or a built in problem? I would appreciate any and all comments on this. I currently have a 7.3 in my 2002 with 115,000 miles. I got a larger trailer and need the additional load capacity.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:Welcome2 mickey. Go to your Ford Dealer with the VIN and have them run an Oasis report. This will tell you everything that Ford has done to the truck. Maintenance is key to any diesel. The 6.0 engines have a weak point in the head bolts. It was designed with too few head bolts and can blow the head gaskets if you hop it up too much. ARP makes head studs which fix this problem. I have over 140,000 miles on my 6.0 without any major problems.

Dave

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Its just a flaw in the 6.0. Its totally fixable BUT very expensive and labor intensive. Once its fixed its a freakin animal though! Get gauges if you do buy it. You cant beat the reliability of the 7.3's though. If it was me I would just hang onto yer 7.3 since its low mileage. Do some upgrades like single shot injectors, a chip and exhaust and intake.

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
I am assuming your 7.3 is an F250 and that is why you are looking for an F350. Is this correct? Have you looked for a used 7.3 F350 in your area?

mickey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info

Yes I have an F250 and need the extra load capacity as I'm pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I think I will look around and see if there are any 2002 F350's. I also have been thinking about putting airbags in the back to help carry the extra load. What does anyone think of this idea? I get a lot of bounce on rough roads. i'm thinking the bags would help cut down on the bouncing.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Air bags add more spring to your truck. Shock absorbers control the bounce. If you are not bottoming out the suspension, then air bags won't help much. New shocks in the rear will.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I found different from the 250 and 350 is leaf springs. I do have a set of air bags for a 99.5-04 F250-350. I need to get sell. I dont have my 04 anymore so they need to go.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air bags add more spring to your truck. Shock absorbers control the bounce. If you are not bottoming out the suspension, then air bags won't help much. New shocks in the rear will.

Dave :)

... Air Bags will also help to (considerably) dampen the Road Shock that gets transferred to the Carried load. Or the Towed load.. through the hitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58