6.4 Diesel is down.

Msgtretiredcsp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Going home to Colorado from South Texas. I notice the coolant resivoir had puked out some coolant. I added approximately 1 1/2 gallon of mixed coolant. Got to Kerrville Tx and it had puked out some more, so I added more of the mix. Got to Carlsbad NM and stopped at Ford garage to purchase a new radiator cap. Service tech advised me to get it looked at if it keeps puking. Got to Ruidoso NM and is puking still. In the Ford garage now to get diagnosed. The gauges all showed normal while driving the truck and no lights came on. No warning what so ever there was any problems. I'm towing a 17k pound 5 th wheel and the truck has 109,000 miles on it. I've always had all required maintenance performed on this. So far it sounds like maybe an egr cooler or possibly head gasket. Cha-Ching!!! Get out the check book. Still waiting on the final word, but it didn't sound good. Any ideas or suggestions? I already had the radiator replaced, thermostat and egr valve back in 2012. Found out the parts are only under warranty for 2 years....Go figure. Being retired, I'm having to sit back and re-evaluate my plans. Always been a loyal Ford owner, but will re-evaluate that after this is all done and said.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
6.4 are not known for blowing head gaskets, but everything happens when you least expect it to. Hope it is something simple.

Dave ;tu

Msgtretiredcsp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I hope you're right. The service tech kinda thought the same. It just really bugs me that there was nothing I can think of that I could have done to prevent or detect this problem. I'll let everyone know what the final results are.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OBTW Msgt... WELCOME To SDD... and Thank You For Your Service !!!!!

Joe

(USN/RET)

Msgtretiredcsp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Well I received word from Ford garage that my problem is the left side head gasket. They said egr cooler is fine. It's a bummer that I'm a little lighter in the wallet, but I know things could have been worst.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr