Article 6.4 Fuel Economy

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:coffee 6.4 Fuel Economy:
Ford vehicles equiped with the 6.4 PowerStroke diesel are not rated for fuel economy by the EPA. If economy is in question, a boost test should be performed. If boost reaches 22-25 PSI in third gear, wide open throttle under load, then the engine is operating normally and no economy related repairs need to be performed. If not in specs, then the engine will need to be diagnosed--check sensor reading, VGT and EGR operation, fuel pressure and quality, crankcase pressure, intake or exhaust restriction, exhaust or CAC leaks.
Fuel economy will be affected by many factors, including: excessive idle time (one hour equals approxmately 33 miles of driving), fuel quality and blend, ambient temperature, driving habits, vehicle use, towing, loads, add-on accessories. Broadcast Message 1271, 4450, 6989

Last edited:

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you find some deep stuff. So your suppose to go above 25 psi and if you don't go see the dealer is what I get from your post, right???

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If boost reaches 22-25 PSI in third gear, wide open throttle under load, then the engine is operating normally and no economy related repairs need to be performed.

This is info from ford. Off of a ford teck site.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigboytoys

I did find out that the owner manul is wrong on the trip computer in setting it up. I found that if you zero it out at a dead stop and it starts from zero moving up it get with in a few points of matching my GPS. Give it a shot on your truck and see if it's closer.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
avg per gal.

In the owner book it tells you to drive on the hwy at a set speed and reset the avg per gal. on the dash. We know the trip computer is all ways off and we calulate by hand for are avg per gal. Well the other day I hit the avg per gal. sitting at a light and it said 0.0 avg per gal. and the APG went up from there. What I found funny is it leveled out at 16.2 mpg city driving. It matched my GPS witch was reading 16.4 MPG The GPS is what I have been gauging my MPG by and backing it up by hand.

mjd4277

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just drove my 08 F-350 home from the dealer last night and it was great!
During the 345 mile trip from Pulaski,New York back to Fitchburg fuel economy increased from 13.1 m.p.g. up to 14.3 so far. The truck only has 29,000 miles on it and it has every thing I wanted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64