6.4 PowerStroke cold weather starting procedure/recommendations

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Cold Weather starting procedure for "2008 6.4L Powerstroke trucks".:skate :cold 4
With the new high pressure fuel system, the 6.4 Powerstroke starts at much lower temperatures than previous engine models. To ensure proper bearing lubrication in ambient temperatures below -10 degrees it is imperative that the engine block heater be used. It is recommended the block heater be powered three hours prior to starting. In addition, it is recommended that a light oil such as 0W-40 or 0W-30 be used. Ensure the API rating of the oil is CJ-4. SSM 19603. CI-4 Plus is permitted if CJ-4 is not available, but severe duty oil change intervals must be followed.
(courtesy dieselmann)

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I read the same thing, Crumm. I would venture to say that BP can afford to let them run 24-7.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Yep they tested them on the North slope and they failed. All the trucks we have been hauling up there now are gassers. The new 6.4 cannot be idled for any length of time or the particulate filter plugs up. The test trucks they shipped back would not hardly run..
Sounds like the cold kills the 6.4's if not before then after:doh:

Doesn't the gas engines have overheating issues in the deep cold?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Why would the DPF clog up? Isn't it supposed to go into regeneration mode when it senses an accumulation of ash? And the TSB about the oil is fine, but who sells 0w-30 or 40 thats in spec? Or even a 5-30 that is in spec??

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Doesn't the gas engines have overheating issues in the deep cold?

Haven't heard that before. The 5.4 in our F150 seems to do fine from -60 to +80.

Why would the DPF clog up? Isn't it supposed to go into regeneration mode when it senses an accumulation of ash?

Dunno why I just know they do plug up. Might be something to do with not building enough heat at idle to regenerate but I am just guessing. Ford will not ship anymore to the North slope is all I know for sure.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno why I just know they do plug up. Might be something to do with not building enough heat at idle to regenerate but I am just guessing. Ford will not ship anymore to the North slope is all I know for sure.

I beleive you prolly nailed it. Incomplete burn because of low cylinder temps would contribute to excess build up.

Nice of Ford to spin the test and leave that part of the vid out... Doesn't surprise me though.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Nice of Ford to spin the test and leave that part of the vid out... Doesn't surprise me though.

I am still in shock with that video. As far as I know there are zero 2008 Superdutys in Prudhoe Bay. There are hundreds of 2006 and older ones but the 2008 failed. The particulate exhaust filter plugged up after a short time. Why would Ford show a video about how great there trucks are up here when in reality they failed. I am a die-hard Ford fan and own six Ford vehicles but this video really disturbs me. I am going to send Ford a email and see if I get a response. I am in Prudhoe Bay three times a week and have not seen a 2008 since last winter when they were testing them.

email to Ford said:
I am a die-hard Ford fan and currently own six Ford vehicles. In a video on your website link -> Ford Vehicles: 2008 Super Duty - North Slope Tough you tell about how great the 2008 Superduty is in the tough climate of Prudhoe Bay Alaska. I travel to Prudhoe Bay Alaska three times a week and actually haul Ford and other brands of trucks up there from time to time. Am I mistaken that the testing of the 2008 6.4L Powerstroke found it to not be compatible with the Arctic climate? The local dealer tells me that the 6.4L cannot be idled for extended periods of time which is why they failed in the Arctic. Has something been done to the 6.4 to allow it to be idled? Your video seems to suggest that the 2008 is being used in Prudhoe bay when in reality it is not. There are hundreds of pre-2008 Ford trucks up there but as far as I know they have stopped shipping new ones up due to the testing failures last winter. Am I mistaken? I just want to be sure I have my facts straight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58