6.4L Block Heater

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I'm looking to install the block heater on my 6.4. The engine has the element in it, and I see the element right above the starter. The problem is that the dealership wants $70 for the cord, and 2 hours of labor to install the cord because it has to go inside the frame rail. Has anyone bought a cord for their block heater and run it themselves? If so, how did you do it and where did you get the cord (part number?)?

I know many guys say you don't need the block heater unless in Alaska, but I'd rather plug it in. I figure warmer oil means better lubrication on starts.

Thanks,
Bruce

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree.

I did not realize that my '08 did not have the block heater until I was driving off. When I asked about and "engine heater", the sales guy thought I was talking about an in cab heater.

On my 7.3 I would plug it in when it got 40 degrees F or below. It made a huge difference on how the truck initially ran and how fast I had heat.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
do it yourself! just make certain that the cord is routed away from exhaust and sharp vibrating edges, secure it with zip-ties, and you will be fine.

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Get the cord at an International dealer. I think I paid less that 30 bucks for mine. Part #ZBL3600008

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Get the cord at an International dealer. I think I paid less that 30 bucks for mine. Part #ZBL3600008

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

And I plan on doing it myself--that's why I left the dealership without letting them do the work they had scheduled. When I made the appointment, I figured it'd be a 30 minute job, but when they told me 2 hours plus a $70 cord, I walked. No thanks!

I'll get the cord and install it myself in about 20 "Bruce-minutes" as my wife says.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.:notworthy

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion, I just remembered something else that might save you a bunch of Bruce Minutes. The end that plugs into the block heater only will go 1 way. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes or so trying to plug it in and just about gave up, then turned the plug 180 degrees and it fell right in!

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think all of them have the block heater, it's just that most of the 6.4's don't have the cord. To save/make money Ford only installed the cord on trucks going to the cold states. West Virginia is not on the list of cold states according to Ford, but on those 10 degree above mornings it's nice to have a little heat in the motor.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
if your rig comes with a block heater where the hell is it ?

Yeah, SkyHawk1 is right. They've all got the element in the block, but no cord. The irony is that the block heater is a $35 option from the factory, yet to install one (the cord) after the fact is about $300 if you go through a dealership.:dizzy

I just bought a cord from International for $27 and am going to do it myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64