6 speed owners please chime in.....

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Mine is an 03, It is a gutless wonder off the line. I had forgotten how much fun a 7.3 was to drive till i got my new Co. truck!! It will roll a stop sign in 3rd gear!!! My 6.0 will stall in 1st!!!! -mad -mad -mad -mad -mad

Sid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With some a soft touch, I could get my 2000 to take off in 4th. I got the auto in my new 05.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Stock? Chip's make a HUGE difference in the 6.0L's
Edge box i got don't do chit till i hit aroud 1500RPM. Tried a few other brands and they were the same......

Max Power

Reaction score
The 03 6.0L is defiantly lacking on the bottom end grunt. My opinion is that anything you can do to get the turbo to spool up faster whether it be by freeing up the intake and exhaust or by programming will have a dramatic effect on the low end. Fortunately mine is automatic so its a little more user friendly. I can definitely see where you are coming from with a 6 speed. I'd be interested in knowing which chipes offer the best low end performance.

With the VVT it should definately be something that can be altered with programming. Hopefully tuners will get this worked out soon.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
I have never liked an Auto for towing. The dealer tried to talk me into the $1400 option and i said no. Autos are worthless out here in the mountains especially off road. All i have gotten from Ford is them increasing the idle to 750 RPM. It helped a little off the line of course. What it needs is fuel BEFORE it sees boost!! -mad

CoryNM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have some low-end lag...but not as bad as yours sounds. I use the no-throttle start several times a day sitting in traffic and never come close to stalling yet :dunno

AutoRotate

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have not noticed the low end problems that the 2003 owners have described. I'm not sure what the difference is. My truck performs very similar to my 1999 7.3 from a stop.

llcustom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CoryNM said:
I have some low-end lag...but not as bad as yours sounds. I use the no-throttle start several times a day sitting in traffic and never come close to stalling yet :dunno

I have to say the same! My 05 did take some getting used to, you are right it is lacking on the bottom end. I will say for me the Edge did help out alto, but still not 7.3 bottom end TQ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64