6spd Tranny Fluid

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
What do those with the ZF's change their fluid at?-popcorn

I changed to Mobil 1 synthetic about 35k miles ago. Shifts have been missed sometimes when the truck is cold and couple times when warm.:eek: :eek: I wasn't being easy on the tranny those times though!:D

Also what's the sign of a weakening hydraulic system? Mine seems to feel a little different this last month or so.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine every 30K--I've only changed it once so far but I'm fixing to do it again either this weekend or next since the odometer is almost ready to roll over 60K.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
What do those with the ZF's change their fluid at?-popcorn

I changed to Mobil 1 synthetic about 35k miles ago. Shifts have been missed sometimes when the truck is cold and couple times when warm.:eek: :eek: I wasn't being easy on the tranny those times though!:D

Also what's the sign of a weakening hydraulic system? Mine seems to feel a little different this last month or so.

What feels different about it? Clutch not fully disengaging? Loose/sloppy?

The hydraulics cost $135 for a complete, sealed, pre-bled unit, with the fluid already in there and life is good.

De/Re is super simple on this unit. Go under your dash, and pry the clutch actuator rod off the clutch pedal with a screwdriver. It just snaps on, snaps off. THen, you just grab ahold of the master cylinder, spin it 1/4 turn counterclockwise, and pull it out. Then, crawl under the truck, grab ahold of the slave cylinder, push it in, spin it 1/4 turn counter clockwise, and pull it out. Then, repeat in opposite with the new unit. Make sure the new reservoir is topped off good, then drive.

The new unit will come with what looks like a plastic tie strap holding the slave cylinder rod in place. Leave it on, it will break when you push the clutch in the first time. Without it, the rod can fall out of the slave into your bellhousing, and then it is time to pull the tranny to get it back out. :eek:

However, if you are having trouble with clutch disengagement, you may have a bent/bending release arm. No way to tell until it breaks. If you are driving one day and your push the clutch pedal in and here and feel a grinding, vibrating, RRRRRRRRRRRR noise, then turn around and get home as fast as possible, using the clutch as little as possible, because that means your release arm is bending and has given up the ghost.

Your truck may have the upgraded release arm, for all i know, but that is the symptom you should look for.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
jvecius,

That's what I thought, couldn't remember from the other place and can't find my manual for the life of me right now. Now add tranny to my list of fluids that need to be changed.:(

Hoss350,

It feels kinda softer now.:dunno Seems do engage closer to the floor and let out higher.:dunno The fluid's fine. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I know I have the upgraded fork, had it done with the clutch at 74k miles. Think I already had it but the shop had already covered it under the extended warranty. We set the two side by side before installing the one we knew was the updated one.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
jvecius,

That's what I thought, couldn't remember from the other place and can't find my manual for the life of me right now. Now add tranny to my list of fluids that need to be changed.:(

I don't know what the actual recommended service interval is (it might actually be every 30K, for all I know) but since 75-80% of my driving is in-town, I go by the severe service maintenance schedule.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Dump and fill about every 75K..... or at Clutch time which ever comes first....

at the 135K mark tore into the tranny... no noticable wear... been using Mobile 1 since the first change....

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
jvecius,

I just swapped mine yesterday and even with the tranny cooler in place (got it from Bob Riley), it was a piece of cake. As long as you get the right-sized fluid pump, it's a no-brainer job, just make sure not to spill too much ATF all over your face as you're pumping the fluid in, as I can now personally verify that it tastes like crap. :eek: :roflmao

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, when I dumped the Amsoil ATF with 30K miles out of my tranny yesterday, it was still visibly red and I could see through it. The magnetic dipstick had a small amount of metal on it, but considering that I trashed a throwout bearing during that mileage, I didn't think that was hardly worth worrying about.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Successful

I found 5 qts of the original Mobil 1 ATF. Only had 5 on the shelf, asked for two more, kid brought back the dual rated and he actually noticed the difference.:eek: I told him I didn't want it. Knowing I have 1 on the shelf in the garage.

His manager said "it's the same the mercron V is just a synthetic blend, look and see if part #s are the same.":rolleyes: :rolleyes: He then went to the back because I insisted on not buying it. Told the kid it's a BIG no-no from Ford for diesel autos. Told him how I have a handshaker and want to stick with what it says to use. Manager came back and said nothing.

I also mentioned that the old stuff is supposed to still stay available. Isn't it, from the hard time I had finding it I'm not sure.:dunno

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tranny fluid changed. Didn't smell or look too good!:( Hope I'm not gonna be lookin at a replacement. DHRA is going to be pretty busy this year in Lubbock supposedly.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr