Help Needed 7.3 Ddied and will not start

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was gettin off the interstate earlier and my 01 7.3 f250 shut down. It will crank fine but it will not start. i have 1/4 tank and it is getting fuel to the fuel bowl. I am new to diesels and not to sure where to start.

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was wondering of it could be the CPS. i have checked the 30A fuse for the fuel heater and it is fine. whenever i turn the ignition it cranks like it wants to start but it just will not fire up. I have been looking around for a few hrs and haven't really found and strong answers on what to do next. I am planning on running to the parst store in the morning and getting the CPS since that seems like a comon problem.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I had two CPSs die on me. Both did it coming off the throttle after running 60+mph. This sounds like one of those cases. If a parts store doesn't have one, look for an International Truck parts store.

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i changed the cps out and put a new battery terminal on because mine was pretty corroded and loose, but it still didnt start. So i did the no no and sprayed sum starting fluid in and it fired right up. But my turbo was making an bad noise like something was rubbing in there, could that be caused from the hpop not getting enough oil to the turbo or from the k&n air filter being dirty restricting the air and messing up the blades inside.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Well the K&N may be the cause of your problem. They suck as a filter and let lots of dirt get in!

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yea i was planning on relacing it it was on the truck when i bought it a few months ago. but i just went out to start the truck again and it cranked very slow to start and when i shut it off i started it again and it fired right up and the noise in the turbo was gone. it shows that it has good oil pressure on the dash i am just new to diesels and not sure what to do next. Any advice on what to do or what and how to check next would be greatly appriciated.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
it may have been loaded up from cranking it with the bad CPS and the Ether dried it out enough to fire up on the new CPS.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it may have been loaded up from cranking it with the bad CPS and the Ether dried it out enough to fire up on the new CPS.

X2

I'd drive it for a few days strait.. see how it does ??

(No sence in tearing inta other things, until you try out what you've done.. the new CPS ?)

Joe

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well i just drove it for about 10min down the interstate and then i was getting off the interstate on my way home and it died on me again and wouldnt start so i had to do the either again and it fired right up and i made it home. but the noise from the turbo is getting worse.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58