7.3 IDI dead on the road

Eric in IL

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1989 F-350 is dead on side of road.

I had the rig plugged in over night. Started like a champ, warmed up for a bit. Got 2 miles outside of town. Notice power loss which got progressively worse. White smoke blowing from tail pipe like it is not getting fuel. When it finally died I went to check the fuel filter for water (the expensive fuel filter with the valve on the bottom to drain water). Opened filter valve. No water. I heard a pressure release like the filter was under suction and no liquid. Must get this dealt with before weekend when no one is working.

Is this the classic case of diesel gel-up or water freezing in the tank and I am an idiot for not putting additive in? Suggestions?

Background:
-Mechanical Fuel pump is about 1.5 years old.
-There was water in the tank on the previous tank of diesel.
-Temp was in the upper 20's over night.
-Monster cookies to be delivered are still on the front seat.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your fuel has gelled up. You need to add an anti-gel formula to the fuel. Your temps are low enough for the fuel to gel.

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get the truck in a heated building and let it set over night, then add
anti-gel formula to your fuel tank. You should be good to go in the morning.
Looks like you live up in the Northern part of IL. so you need to be buying #1 Diesel
this time of the year. Good Luck.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fuel has gelled up. You need to add an anti-gel formula to the fuel. Your temps are low enough for the fuel to gel.

Dave :)

1989 F-350 is dead on side of road.

I had the rig plugged in over night. Started like a champ, warmed up for a bit. Got 2 miles outside of town. Notice power loss which got progressively worse. White smoke blowing from tail pipe like it is not getting fuel. When it finally died I went to check the fuel filter for water (the expensive fuel filter with the valve on the bottom to drain water). Opened filter valve. No water. I heard a pressure release like the filter was under suction and no liquid. Must get this dealt with before weekend when no one is working.

Is this the classic case of diesel gel-up or water freezing in the tank and I am an idiot for not putting additive in? Suggestions?

Background:
-Mechanical Fuel pump is about 1.5 years old.
-There was water in the tank on the previous tank of diesel.
-Temp was in the upper 20's over night.
-Monster cookies to be delivered are still on the front seat.

You need to get the truck in a heated building and let it set over night, then add
anti-gel formula to your fuel tank. You should be good to go in the morning.
Looks like you live up in the Northern part of IL. so you need to be buying #1 Diesel
this time of the year. Good Luck.
Doug

X3 to what Dave & Doug said.

and you probably should change your filter(s) too. Particulates from the Gelling process.. could likely have fouled the filter(s) some ?

Joe

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
If you run into this bind again (hopefully not) Diesel 911 one will get you back home. Change the filter and use additives. Don't trust your local fuel stop to do this.;tu

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I respectfully have to disagree with the gelling diagnosis. I live in NE North Dakota, and growing up on a grain farm, and having 18 years in the Army(95% of our equipment is diesel powered), have been around all kinds of diesel engines, and extremely cold temperatures. I've had my F250 for three years, and I don't even think about Power Service or #1 fuel until it's going to drop below -10 F. The only time I've seen gelling at temps above zero was with the vehicles we shipped back from Egypt in '05. The crap in those tanks was like glue.

As for your problem, Eric, I would have to lean more towards a water/ice problem. The sucking sound when you opened the filter drain, in my opinion, points to that. Gel problems almost always occur in the filter because of the restriction, and taking off the filter top and inspecting it should show very quickly if that is the problem. I agree with WD40 that you should try get it in a heated building overnight to warm up, but then work on getting all the water out-- northern North American #2 diesel simply doesn't gel at +20 F.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I respectfully have to disagree with the gelling diagnosis. I live in NE North Dakota, and growing up on a grain farm, and having 18 years in the Army(95% of our equipment is diesel powered), have been around all kinds of diesel engines, and extremely cold temperatures. I've had my F250 for three years, and I don't even think about Power Service or #1 fuel until it's going to drop below -10 F. The only time I've seen gelling at temps above zero was with the vehicles we shipped back from Egypt in '05. The crap in those tanks was like glue.

microbial growth?

To the OP.. I'd have to agree with this guy.. the 7.3 'strokes are good for gelling in the filter bowl, but yours is an IDI, and with the white smoke statement, I'd be likely to think water in the fuel as well.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
they have also switched the fuel here already. You can always tell by the sudden sharp rise in price and sudden loss of mpg.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking we're talking Apples & Apples here. Water in Diesel fuel* can create Icing, anywhere in the fuel system.. Gelling in the fuel system= Same/Same ?

The Prevention and Maintenance are the same too ?

1. Treat your fuel with an anti-icing inhibitor. All Winter ?

2. Start the Winter with clean, new filter(s) ?

3. Buy fuel at a Major Brand stations.. with a Good turnover of product ?

4. Carry a jug of Diesel 911 (or the equivalent) ?

* Diesel fuel(s) has in-trained H2O in it.. by it's nature (refining process)

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58